SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have a cold one!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have a cold one! Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
"Sometimes, when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I did not drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, it is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true, than be selfish and worry about my liver.”

Babe Ruth

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.”

Paul Horning

"24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not!”

H. L. Mencken

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven.”

George Bernard Shaw

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Benjamin Franklin

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, But the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.”

Dave Barry

“Beer: Helping ugly people have sex since 3000 B.C.”

W. C. Fields

“Remember ‘I’ before ‘E,’ except in Budweiser.”

Professor Irwin Corey

“To some it is a six-pack. To me, it is a Support Group. Salvation in a can.”

Leo Durocher

One night at Cheers , a TV Sitcom, Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson: "Well, ya see, Normmy, it's like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But, naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

He did actually say this.

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
W/ his herds, man had to move to find new grazing areas. He was nomadic.
W/ the discovery of barley and subsequently, the accidental wetting or malting of it, man settled down to form villages/towns/cities.

Beer is responsible for the forming of cities which drive our civilizations.
(Read it in books, not the internet, so it must be true. Wink)

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda makes you want to hoist one (or two, or...), doesn't it?

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Homer Simpson:

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “One night at Cheers , a TV Sitcom, Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson: "Well, ya see, Normmy, it's like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But, naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers!”

I don’t think that was an actual “Cheers” episode. But it sure as hell sounds like Cliff, and it’s a great story!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8994 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: “One night at Cheers , a TV Sitcom, Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson: "Well, ya see, Normmy, it's like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But, naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers!”

I don’t think that was an actual “Cheers” episode. But it sure as hell sounds like Cliff, and it’s a great story!
Incorrect. It’s an actual Cheers episode

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My idea of a cold one. I get a six pack all the time! Big Grin

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Can you cite the episode?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8994 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's the top quote on IMDB but they don't attribute episodes to quotes. I've seen the episode and it's a memorable quote.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

When did they start doing Dark Chocolate Klondike bars?

Why didn't anyone tell me??

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9167 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

When did they start doing Dark Chocolate Klondike bars?

Why didn't anyone tell me??

They have been around for a few years. Not every store will have them, but you can ask around.

I do have to advise you these things are like crack (without the German Shepard) so you'll need to buy more than one pack when you find them.

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
My idea of a cold one. I get a six pack all the time! Big Grin

Only when they are seriously on sale. And it is two six-packs. I'll have to hold myself back to stretch them into a second day, though.

A definite calendar event January 24 2018 . . . hmmm, about ready for another caloric splurge

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies
come to life and fade away.
What care I how time advances;
I am drinking ale today.
- Edgar Allen Poe

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's the top quote on IMDB but they don't attribute episodes to quotes. I've seen the episode and it's a memorable quote.

Negative. This quote never appeared on Cheers. It was created separately, and incorrectly attributed to Cliff as it made it rounds, much like an urban legend.

However, there are a number of folks who, due to the so-called "Mandela Effect" confabulation, will swear that they saw/heard it on a Cheers episode, even though it never actually appeared. Collective mis-remembering. Some have gone so far as to rewatch the entire series on DVD in an effort to prove themselves right, only to be disappointed when they realize that the quote does not, in fact, ever appear on Cheers.

(And the IMDB quotes section isn't an accurate source. Like Wikipedia, anyone can add a quote there.)

Posts: 32542 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just grabbed the only 12 pack of Samuel Adams Octoberfest the store had. And it's in cans; can't recall ever seeing it in cans here before. Two of them went into the freezer, for a quality control check in about 20 minutes.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call it beer logic.

People can sit in a bar for a few hours and solve all the problems of the world; beer logic.

Things all seem to make sense after you have had enough beer.

Went to visit a guy while on vacation one year.

He lived in a dry county in N.C.. Stayed overnight and at breakfast he pops his first Bud open.

After breakfast he says lets take a ride.

We drove 35 miles away, way out in the country, just across the county line. A carryout was in the middle of nowhere. We go in and he buys a 12 pack.
Next day he says lets take a ride. Same deal.

I ask him why he did not just fill his trunk up and save some gas money?
He says what do you think I am an alcoholic?

He was mad at me for the question, so I left after we got back. Beer logic I guess.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
That is why I always read Jallen's posts.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post