SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone done LASIK?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone done LASIK? Login/Join 
posted
I'm considering Lasik as I'm getting tired of glasses and I understand they can correct my astigmatism. Ive read up on the potential issues and benefits and just wanted to see if anyone has got it and how its going? Anything you'd tell someone to avoid or look for?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had it performed on both eyes 15+ years ago, and until the last year haven't needed the addition of glasses or readers.

Best thing I did, no more contacts, glasses etc, I could wear normal sunglasses, vision improved significantly. My issue was astigmatism more so than bad vision.

Doc told me I'd still eventually need reading glasses, and some of my distance vision is slightly blurred, which has happened, but I can still see better without my glasses now than I could before the surgery.

Well worth doing.

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am about 20 years into mine and like HRK, I recently started using readers which i think is more age than Lasik related.

I was 20/400 and 20/800 with high astigmatism, hated contacts and very sick of coke bottle lenses. I had mine done on a Friday night and by Saturday was cleared to drive

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Had it done in 2005 - still 20/20 in one eye, 20/15 in the other. Started out off the charts bad - couldn't read the top line of the eye chart.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
20+ years ago. best money I ever spent. Distance vision is still great, but at 58, need readers with was expected.

Posts: 378 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine done in 2005. I still have no need for glasses, but that will probably change within the next five years as I enter my fifth decade. One of the best decisions I have made.

My wife had it done a few years after I did and she also had an astigmatism. She has mixed feelings. She now has chronic dry eye from the surgery that can mess with her vision since her eyes are not getting the lubrication they need. She's always using eye drops and any air movement irritates her eyes.

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Had it done to correct astigmatism and myopia at ~39 y.o.a. Never got to 20/20 but a vast improvement that negated the need for glasses/contacts. By 45 was regularly wearing "cheater" glasses for close up vision. By 50 I was wearing the cheaters pretty much full time, so I switched to bifocal/progressive lenses. Been with them for about 5 years now and have pretty much resigned to wearing them the rest of my life.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I now have to wear eyeglasses for driving and for reading. That latter part drives me up a wall. Every time I need to see detail in something small I have to go find a pair of cheaters. Have mild astigmatism, too, which sucks with RDS'. But it'll be a cold day in hell before I'll be allowing anybody near my eyes with sharp instruments or a laser.

I'm sure I'll catch a raft of s**t for this, but I gotta call 'em as I see 'em, and my general opinion is I have to have something a lot more seriously wrong with me than the inconvenience of eyeglasses before anybody's cuttin' on me.

Lasik and PRK have high success rates, but, when they go wrong for people, apparently they can go very wrong. This was brought home to us, here in the Metro-Detroit area, in a very personal way, lately, when a bright, young, attractive, very popular meteorologist, and mother of three, committed suicide following a Lasik procedure that went badly for her.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going on about 4 years for me, best money I ever spent.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm a -9.5 in both eyes & according to my optometrist I'm on the no side of borderline.

She did mention ICL as an alternative & has a much higher threshold for those with higher prescriptions.
Implanted contact lens, cost is pretty similar to LASIK, but is upgradable & reversible.

Have't looked into it too seriously yet, as I want to be sure my eyes are done changing, only been in the -9.5 for 2 years & it's the first time in over 20 years that my eyes are the same prescription.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15402 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My wife, son and I all had it done last year by the same doctor who has done a few thousand LASIK procedures and came highly recommended by some friends. He also uses one of the more advanced laser systems available. We wish we'd have spent the money earlier. I was previously told by a military hospital that I wasn't a good candidate for LASIK due to the shape of my eyes. With the newer technology, I turned out to be an excellent candidate. Anyway, we all three were pretty nearsighted before the procedure (-4.25 for me, wife and son a bit better). In addition, my wife and I had astigmatism and I had to wear bifocals or progressive lenses. Now my wife and I are 20/20. My son is even better. My wife and I need reading glasses for very small print but can read our phones, books, magazines and most everything throughout the day without them. That may change at some point though. Our night vision is much better too. The best part is being able to see immediately after waking up. The only downside I've experienced is my eyes are drier now. I carry around some over the counter eye drops for when it bothers me. It's a very minor issue but noticeable. My wife and son don't have that problem.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
I had it done in 2006, and it was a trade for me. I'm not sure I would do it again, were I able to go back in time.

My biggest issue has been serious dry eye issues. I dealt with that for years, but finally found out about duct plugs, and that's helped immensely.

I also can no longer see very well driving at night. If I knew that was from Lasik, then I'd take it back, for certain.

All that having been said, I love not having to deal with lenses anymore.

Posts: 743 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Had laser surgery (PRK, not LASIK) 7 years ago. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5284 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I wish LASIK had been available when I had RK done in the mid 1980s. Like LASIK though, it was the best decision I ever made. 20/20 and 20/15 for decades. No contacts, no glasses. Protect your eyes after it's done. Buy quality sunglasses and use them. You may need to use artificial tears for dry eyes.

If you have it done, it's still possible to need cataract surgery as you age. It's an easy procedure and you'll never need to do it again.

Find the most experienced doctor in your area to do the LASIK procedure.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was -4 in both eyes. I had lasik in 2002. Best thing I ever paid for.

In 2014 at age 40 I noticed distance getting a bit blurry so I went back and they did a touchup (no cost) and I’m back at 20/20.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8034 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, went to King Lasik in Tukwila last fall, very happy with it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Best thing I ever did in the military. It was done for no cost. I still have 20/15 vision after 5 years. Sometimes I get dry eyes but it happens less and less now.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it done in 2005. Have had no issues, though recently I've been thinking I may need some light reading glasses. Before my surgery my eyesight was 20/400; afterwards I was 20/20. Best investment I've ever made. Just do your research and find a good, reputable doctor with lots of experience.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Has mine done in 1999. The best advice I got, and which I completely agree with: Go to a well qualified doctor and avoid those in-and-out places.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6431 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a -9.25 and -9.75 with a minor astigmatism in one eye and slightly more in the other and had worn glasses since 4th grade. Needed them in kindergarten, though.

I had custom lasik done by the highest-rated surgeon in the area about 6 years ago - not even close to the cheapest - because I inherited a little money from my great-aunt.

I have never once regretted the decision. Not once. I do have to wear cheaters but I still don’t need distance correction. I do have to put a drop in each eye when I get up, but generally that’s all I have to use in a day.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post