SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legal term ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal term ? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
What is the legal term for having something SO interesting on your property that it actually makes YOU liable when someone trespasses and gets injured ?
Or did I Dream this?

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer but I believe the term is “attractive nuisance.”

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Not a lawyer but I believe the term is “attractive nuisance.”

Correct.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The attractive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts, in the United States. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Attractive nuisance is correct.

It's been a while, but I think it only applies to youngsters.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I just could not bring those words out. Was part of a discussion earlier today.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It's the reason we have a 1 million dollar umbrella policy. We have domestic ducks and geese free ranging in one of our fields that get a lot of attention from kids in the area. It was worse when we raised hogs and beef cattle.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post