SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Railroad, Transportation, Maritime lighting Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Railroad, Transportation, Maritime lighting Question Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I’ve been collecting items for my garage and lights seem to have had the biggest impact when the door goes up .
Today I came across & bought a couple more lights but I’m not sure what genre of transportation they’re associated with.
There were three, two with red lenses (which I bought) and a blue lens.
The guy selling them said he thought the Railroad was the only ones using blue lights.
I’d planned to paint them transportation yellow & weld up a mounting bracket but thought I’d ask around & do some research first.
The Forum has always amazed me with the combined knowledge do I figured I’d start here.

Anyone seen this type of light before?
For size reference they’re 12”x 12” with a 9” glass

?????

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been a long time since I saw them, but I think the LORAN guidance system on the Ohio River uses similar lights.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
This is all I’ve found of blue lights associated with the Railroad.
Though none of the images look anything like the lights I bought as mine doesn’t even have a way to attach the typical RR light hood.
I’ve yet to find anything other than red, green & white associated with the water. Confused

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Neat place with a lot of cool stuff.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen or heard of a blue light I’m Maritime use. Red, Green, White, Amber.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I’ve never seen or heard of a blue light I’m Maritime use. Red, Green, White, Amber.

This is the only maritime use I’ve found & it’s from Australia. Nothing from the US.
I like a good hunt & search mystery. But even with the railroad direction none of those lights look like mine. So I’m still searching the webs.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The US does not use blue in maritime lighting. Not in traffic direction or channel marking or ship marking.

White
Yellow
Green
Red

I don’t know Jack about trains.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Looks like these may very well be Railroad equipment. But I’d really like to find a pic of these in a railroad photo. I’m not a Railroad guy myself.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I may not know what the lights are for but I will stand my ground and insist, "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!"

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I need entertainment and there's only me to provide it.)

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Measure the lenses.

See if the glass has any numbers on it.

MS24489 is the number for a red lens for airport lights. The lens would be around 8 3/8 in diameter.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’ve been railroading for 14 years and have never seen anything like those on the rails. My current property has a lot of really old Missouri Pacific and ATSF hardware and none of it looks even remotely similar. Let me ask around though. As you note RR lights typically have the hoods on them.

These don’t look like they would have been wayside signals, possibly something in a shop setting. Blue signals are what we use to lock out tracks when mechanics are working on equipment in them. Red, yellow, and green are what railroads use for signal indications on wayside signals.

Go Google “railroad dwarf signal”, these share a lot of similarities with them, save for the points to attach a hood.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Don't airports use blue lights to identify the taxiways? Could they be aviation related instead?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^ yes, that’s where I’ve seen blue lights…and on top of police cars..but that’s another discussion

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Some pics of the decals & markings.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%