SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can any members educate me on Epiphone Hummingbird guitars?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can any members educate me on Epiphone Hummingbird guitars? Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted
Saw one at a flea market. Seems like a nice instrument, priced at $140. I'm sure they'd take a few bucks less. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I assumer it's the Hummingbird Pro?
If so that's less than half!
It has a pickup in it also.

BUY IT.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
See how it feels in your hand. Currently it is listed as having a SlimTaper™ neck and 24.75" short scale, so it'll have lower string tension - be easier to play - than a dreadnaught with a standard 25.5", with a neck that is easy to get your fingers around. I have one of the Epiphones with the 1950s-style V-Neck, reminiscent of a pre-truss rod neck, and it is harder to grip.

New medium gauge strings will give it more punch. Solid top, plywood back/sides, I think. With no warranty, I'd look at the top real close. See if the top has buckled upward or if the bridge is flipping forward or if the neck is shifting. If you can play a bar chord at the 12th fret, it's probably set up fairly decently.

I try not to pay more than $80-$100 for a beater guitar.

http://www.epiphone.com/Produc...tic/Hummingbird.aspx

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post