SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The greatest athletic performances on film. What's yours?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The greatest athletic performances on film. What's yours? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
This brings a tear to my eye every time I see this.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that was pretty god - love that movie

but, I think I could argue that a couple of good performances could be found at the Olympics

Nadia Komenich scoring perfect 10's

the other that comes to mind is Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate in the 2008 US Open - given Tiger's condition on that Monday round - has to rank up there

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This dude is a manual laborer, but I’ve never seen an athlete do anything more impressive. When the observer murmurs, “No way…” I’m in complete agreement. A one-minute video.

https://youtu.be/lV-iP1jSMlI

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest athletic performances captured on film along with my top pick for best call by an announcer at an athletic event. The record still stands, hasn't really been seriously challenged in 45 years.

"He's moving like a tremendous machine...He's all alone..."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Linda Lovelace in Deep Throat but I'd best not post a linkie.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Linda Lovelace in Deep Throat but I'd best not post a linkie.

First "real" movie I ever saw at the age of around ten. It sure left an impression.

"Bubbles..."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
The greatest athletic performances on film. What's yours?

Rick Monday grabbing the flag from the two D-bags at they tried to light it on fire during the baseball game at Dodger stadium in 1976.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
quote:
The greatest athletic performances on film. What's yours?

Rick Monday grabbing the flag from the two D-bags at they tried to light it on fire during the baseball game at Dodger stadium in 1976.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Wild World Of Sports intro.

The snowballing down the ski slope in the agony of defeat.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Franz Klammer, '76 Olympics.
Performance under extreme pressure.

https://asipofsports.com/2018/...76-olympic-downhill/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fyIHXouWUo

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
USA hockey team beating the Russians in 1980. Miracle on Ice

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Barry Sanders highlights are up there on the list

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
USA hockey team beating the Russians in 1980. Miracle on Ice

And at the same Olympics:

“Eric Arthur Heiden (born June 14, 1958) is an American physician and a former long track speed skater, road cyclist and track cyclist. He won an unprecedented five individual gold medals, and set four Olympic records and one world record at the 1980 Winter Olympic Games. Heiden was the most successful athlete at those Olympic Games, single-handedly winning more gold medals than all nations except for the Soviet Union (10) and East Germany.” – Wikipedia

It was like a runner winning every race from the 100m dash to the marathon.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not really into the Olympics much less girls gymnastics but this one showed a lot of courage:

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

This and Rick Monday....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Roger Bannister and the 4-minute mile:

On Roger Bannister's search for the sub-4-minute mile.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
On Film, as in movie, the GOAT.

https://youtu.be/i94ldGNNSQ0

Recorded sports:

2002 World Superbike last round, last race. Imola. Colin Edwards, a Texan, pulling off the greatest motorcycle racing comeback in the history of 2 wheeled sport. I’d post a link but couldn’t find one.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post