SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The greatest athletic performances on film. What's yours?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The greatest athletic performances on film. What's yours? Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Hands down, without a doubt. It sill makes the hair on my arms stand up as much as watching it that night so many years ago

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too vote for The Miracle On Ice. Watched it at the Brunswick NAS O'Club with a rowdy group of ossifers. Smile

Runner up was a game that I can't identify other than it was Jim Brown with Cleveland. He gets hit by at least a half dozen defenders who pile up on him. But under all that he's still upright and legs churning. After what seems like a half minute the "pile" starts moving downfield for another 15 - 20 yards.... Brown simply carrying them all. Unreal. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The Wild World Of Sports intro.

The snowballing down the ski slope in the agony of defeat.

I saw that one with my brother, before it became part of the agony of defeat.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
2002 World Superbike last round, last race. Imola. Colin Edwards, a Texan, pulling off the greatest motorcycle racing comeback in the history of 2 wheeled sport. I’d post a link but couldn’t find one.

I remember that. My fingernails were chewed to bits.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Bob Beamon1968 Olympics long jump.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Bob Beamon1968 Olympics long jump.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Growing up, I attended many basketball camps. Frequently I was force fed Larry Bird clips and I hated it as I was a Magic fan. Larry was always the model we should emulate because he was the king of fundamentals. Left and right handed dribbling and shooting. Showing off by slamdunking the ball was always secondary. Now that I'm older, I can see why he was celebrated.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Lots of perfs from the Olympic Games mentioned. My first thought was from the Olympics as well; Franz Klammer’s gold medal winning run in the downhill at the ‘76 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. Unfortunately, there is no video on YT of the ABC TV broadcast with Frank Gifford, and his call of Klammer’s downhill. IMO, it ranks with Al Michaels’ call of the hockey game.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Growing up, I attended many basketball camps. Frequently I was force fed Larry Bird clips and I hated it as I was a Magic fan. Larry was always the model we should emulate because he was the king of fundamentals. Left and right handed dribbling and shooting. Showing off by slamdunking the ball was always secondary. Now that I'm older, I can see why he was celebrated.

Larry Bird was the greatest basketball player of all time. Micheal Jordan couldn't hold his jockstrap. Big Grin

That team with McHale, Parish, Ainge...damn they were good.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
On Film, as in movie, the GOAT.

https://youtu.be/i94ldGNNSQ0

If this is defined as an athletic performance portrayed in a Hollywood production, this also is my overwhelming pick. Even as I watch it over and over again whenever I encounter it as I channel surf, that scene gives me goose bumps!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
One of the greatest athletic performances captured on film along with my top pick for best call by an announcer at an athletic event. The record still stands, hasn't really been seriously challenged in 45 years.

"He's moving like a tremendous machine...He's all alone..."

That is my vote, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vic40204:
Secretariat is a great 1. I also like this. https://youtu.be/SejHEFZEebU
1994 ky comes back from 31 points down to beat la.

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe there has been no mention of Bo Jackson. If not for "The Throw" in particular, but for the shear strength and athleticism of that man. How anyone can break a bat across their head is beyond me. He was known for snapping bats with a checked swing. I fully believe that his blown hip was a result of simply being too powerful for his own good. A lot of people forget that he managed to accomplish all that he did before the age of what, 26? Bo was a walking highlight reel of athletic dominance.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1988 world series Gibson's H.R., to win
https://nowthisnews.com/videos...es-walk-off-home-run

(was there that night)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Barry Sanders highlights are up there on the list
Barry Sanders was a human highlight film. I'm a lifelong Detroit Lions fan (until the NFL lost their mind), and am a huge Sanders fan. Not only was he elusive, quick, and strong , but he was a total class act (didn't celebrate after TD, took care of his o-line, zero locker room or off the field nonsense).

I remember his rookie year when refs were inspecting his jersey and teams were filing protests with the league. Nobody could believe that he could be so elusive and thought he must be cheating (e.g. spraying slipper substance on jersey).

The highlight film left out one of his most memorable runs. The Lions were playing the Steelers and at the time Rod Woodson was their star cornerback (11 time pro-bowler, NFL defensive player of the year, AFC player of the year, 2x all american football at Purdue, 2x all American track star at Purdue, qualified for hurdles on US Olympic team, etc), and on a swing pass play Sanders juked Woodson out of his knee. Woodson had to have ACL surgery.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/fqFksT8wvXY

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Greatest athletic performance of all-time was Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. Hitler planned to show the world that the Aryan people were the dominant race, but Jesse Owens proved him wrong and sealed his place in Olympic history by becoming the most successful athlete of the 1936 Games. Owens also became the first american to win four track and field gold medals at a single Olympics (100m, 200m, 4x100m relay and long jump), a record that stood unbroken for 48 years.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1inifMJ0xio

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I remember the Miracle on Ice and it was great but for me it was the 1988 World Series game 1. I was watching the game on television with my mom and the Dodgers were down 4-3 to the A’s in the 9th with 2 outs. Kirk Gibson had not played because of injuries to both legs but Tommy Lasorda sends him to the plate. Mike Davis is on first and Dennis Eckersley was pitching, at the time he was considered the best reliever in the game. Gibson can’t run so anything he hits on the ground is surely an out. The count goes to 3 and 2. Gibson fouls off several and it’s clear he can’t use his left leg to drive his swing and he can’t plant his right foot to swing. Then he puts the bat on the ball and sends it over the right field fence for a 2 run homer. That’s one of my favorite memories with my mom. The only thing that would have made that more dramatic would have been if it were game 7 instead of game 1. But it stunned the A’s and I don’t think they were able to recover the rest of the series.

I don’t know how to imbed the video but here is the link.

1988 World Series Kirk Gibson at bat

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post