SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I live in MO / Daughter lives in VA / Can I Gift a Handgun?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I live in MO / Daughter lives in VA / Can I Gift a Handgun? Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
Can I just give her a handgun or are there any special rules?

Does Virginia require any type of a license to own handgun?

If it matters, she lives in Fairfax, VA.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a lawyer but would think if you legally purchase the firearm at your LGS or one in Virginia online and have it shipped to a FFL in Virginia local to her. She can then pay the FFL, background, etc. and legally pick it up, etc. I am sure someone else with more knowledge than me will chime in. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^Sorry, I already own it and just want to give it to her.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Regardless of whether you already own it or not, it has to be transferred through a VA FFL. Someone from NOVA can chime in with any special restrictions for Fairfax

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Regardless of whether you already own it or not, it has to be transferred through a VA FFL. Someone from NOVA can chime in with any special restrictions for Fairfax

I'm a bit confused. So if H2's daughter drives to MO and gets the handgun will she still need to do some sort of transfer to VA? Same in reverse. Can H2 drive to VA and give the handgun to his daughter? Is it the shipping that makes a diff? I don't mean to be dense but I've never had to do this.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^ thanks for spelling it out better than I did. It would be a face to face, versus shipping, gift. So I’m asking if that is ok to do?

The next question is does she have to register the handgun with either the state of VA, county, or city of Fairfax?

I’m simply ignorant of firearms ownership in VA and don’t want her to potentially get into trouble.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'Blackmore' is correct...From the ATF website:

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

"Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check."

If your daughter is not a resident of your state, the handgun must be transferred through a VA FFL.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's called "Interstate trafficking of firearms" and it's a federal crime.

FFL to FFL transfer the firearm for easiest solution.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It says "Generally....." what are the exceptions?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't you actually give it to her when you both lived in the same state?

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:

That's what I was going to say. Unless it was manufactured well after she moved out, I think it was always her gun. She just forgot to pack it when she moved. Just sayin'.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^So, you're 'just sayin' to ignore Federal Law, in a public forum! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The feds ignore federal law every day. So I'm not going to get exercised about someone getting a gun as a gift or inheritance. Call me crazy.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
VA has implemented so-called universal background checks so you need to go through an FFL or the State Police even if it isn't a interstate transfer for her to legally receive the gun. Do you intend to ship the gun, or travel to VA? If the latter, most gun shows will have a police presence to expedite background checks and private transfers for a nominal fee ($2, I think). There is a Showmaster's show in Chantilly, VA pretty much every month where you could do this link. If you go to the Chantilly show, stop by the NRA booth where I'll probably be volunteering, and say "hi." The booth is outside the main entrance, and you get free admittance to the show if you renew your membership at the booth.

If you are shipping the gun, you'll have to find an FFL in VA that will perform the background check and transfer for you. Be aware that many FFLs do not accept firearm shipments from anyone other than another FFL. I don't think there is an active gun store in Fairfax City at this time, but there are a few kitchen table FFLs still working. E-mail me if you need help finding one.

ETA: with our current General Assembly there is a very real possibility that certain firearms and magazine may become illegal to transfer (or even posses) after July 1 2024. If this becomes law, expect the gun shows to go away, and things to get much more difficult.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks Architect…you have mail.

Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Given the increasing antigun sentiment in the Virginia legislature and certain County governments, the most producent route for both you and your daughter is an FFL-to-FFL transfer. If a semiautomatic, review the pending legislation which contains magazine capacity restrictions.

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:

That's what I was going to say. Unless it was manufactured well after she moved out, I think it was always her gun. She just forgot to pack it when she moved. Just sayin'.

This is how I'd look at it as well. I gave my sister a pistol 6-8 years ago. If tomorrow she decided to up and move to VA, I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep over it.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Can I just give her a handgun or are there any special rules?
If it matters, she lives in Fairfax, VA.

h2oys,
Unfortunately, it's based on current residence. It would have to go through a VA based FFL.

Coincidentally, my daughter also recently moved to Fairfax, VA. She worked for Anheuser-Busch through the Dylan Mulvaney fiasco and decided she didn't want to work for them anymore...
Anyway, while she lived here I was able to legally transfer a firearm to her, face to face.

I could not do so now that she lives in Virginia. However, if she ever moves back to Missouri, you could legally transfer a firearm to her, face to face.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Aside from the "Domestic Violence" and "Protection Order" restrictions I disagree with, Virginia is a pretty reasonable state.

Sucks family cannot just give each other material possessions, but that is another discussion

If it's only a matter of you wanting to relive her of the financial burden; I think an easy fix would be you get in touch with a LGS, figure out parameters, she goes there (Hopefully tests out a few options) they run your credit card, check her background and your good to go

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
H2oys,

The transfer must go through an FFL in Virginia.

I happen to be one, near Fairfax (Loudoun, next county west and north).

I’ll send you an email shortly.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post