SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I live in MO / Daughter lives in VA / Can I Gift a Handgun?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I live in MO / Daughter lives in VA / Can I Gift a Handgun? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
It says "Generally....." what are the exceptions?

1. You don’t have to be residents of the same state, but you do have to reside in the same state. Example: my uncle is a resident of Michigan: he votes there, pays income tax there, MI driver’s license, car are registered in MI, etc. He owns a condo in Florida and spends several months there in the winter. When he is here in Florida, we can give each other all the firearms we want without an FFL. I am a Florida resident and he resides i Florida in the winter even though he is still a MI resident.

2. Bequests pursuant to a will or inheritance do not have to go through an FFL. For example: if my dad, a Florida resident, passes away and in his will leaves a firearm to my brother, a Tennessee resident, then no FFL is needed.

States have their own rules.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I read the Virginia law relative to that just last week. Every gun transfer has to be done with a background check.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Some years back I had a friend in Illinois that wanted to sell me a firearm. I live in Indiana. I had him bring the pistol to Indiana and we both went to my local FFL and had the pistol transferred to me. I had to pay the transfer fee and go through the background check. It was not a big deal but he couldn't just sell me the pistol since he lived out of state. Had he lived in Indiana he could have just sold me the pistol with no other action involved. Of course your situation could be different.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the guidance.

I’m going to transfer via a local FFL to sig2340 who kindly offered to handle the transfer on the VA end.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Sig2340 for handling the receiving end of the transfer to my daughter in VA.

MANY THANKS!

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post