SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son wants to be an NFL executive…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son wants to be an NFL executive… Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
He’s 19, studying business, and has a nearly photographic mind for statistics; especially NFL related.

His dream job is a General Manager type role where he is heavily involved in the draft and choosing the players.

How does a person even get into that field?

I mean, you don’t just go to Indeed and find these jobs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12338 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet you have to know somebody, have the right contacts to get in.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Roger Goodell Reportedly Makes $63.9 Million Per Year. It's good work if you can get it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Goodall is 63. You have to know people. A friend of mine got himself into the pressbox as a spotter as an undergraduate. He got to know the folks from ABC and things went from there. He did Monday Night Football behind the scenes and later was a salary cap negotiator for an NFL team. He never played sports. If he is so good at stats maybe he could get into coaching. Charlie Weiss's kid is a good example. He has a photographic mind.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Send in his resume for an intern position?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Start at a good college with a good football program, work his way up while in school, 4 years working stats for Alabama, Oklahoma, etc would do wonders for him, probably post grad work at a top school.

and know a guy, who knows a guy that met a guy who can get him in for an interview

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Here's what Brandon Beane (Bills) had to say about getting his start.

If his school has a football program, he should get involved there with their analytics group.

But the short answer is, he will have 32 letters to write and introduce himself to an organization that doesn't necessarily recruit out of college. It'll probably start as an internship.

Last thing I'd say is that if he doesn't or didn't play football, he best brush up on it and be able to talk offenses and defenses. You can be a great number cruncher but if you don't know what you're looking for as far as being a statistician or data analytics guru, you won't get too far.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
First step is likely becoming a Grad Assistant for a college football team.

You can make it in baseball as an analytics guy without knowing the game as much, but it is harder in football which is nowhere near as statistically-driven. You need talent evaluation experience.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think you could gather a list of a few dozen or so jobs underneath that goal, and work every angle to get attached to an org and work into it. I think there are "Sports Management" B.S. degrees. In a program like that, you might be able to score an interview for an internship.

Something like this --

https://www.sru.edu/academics/...nts/sport-management

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sports managment degrees are no key to success. Professors of sports managment are not the real deal. Your major does not matter so much. It is your contacts. For example, ALL of the big time football coaches know each other. Kelly, Saban, Riley, Kiffen, Fisher. When they leave a program they try and take their guys{often 20 or 30 with them}. All of the major football teams have managers and students who work behind the scenes. Go to a major University and you will meet the folks you need to know.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post