SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cowboy Action Shooters step inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboy Action Shooters step inside Login/Join 
posted
I have started shooting matches now. I have a hat and boots, but I do not have a "period correct" outfit and would like to get one or two. I would like to find some that are similar to some of John Wayne's outfits. Where is/are some good online places? Thanks guys.

Posts: 1220 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume the SASS Chronicle is still published if only online. They carry multiple ads for the suppliers of period clothing. It's actually called the Cowboy Chronicle.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up a site called Texas Jacks. They've got clothes, boots, hats, holsters and guns.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
The Old Trading Post is a good one as well... Sign up for their news letter and you'll get a 10% off discount code.

Old Trading Post

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Www.Wildwestmercantile.com

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Out horse and western wear places in Georgia carry a lot of stuff.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
<Waiting for member Rolan Kraps to mosey in>

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
<Waiting for member Rolan Kraps to mosey in>

Exactly what I was going to post, Rolan will give you all the tips you need!

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
You'll find a LOT by going to matches. What size are you? I may have some extras.

I mainly dress "Steampunk" now for Cowboy matches, but still have LOTS of western wear. I've got a 2x John Wayne Vest that I'll most likely never get back into. I could make you a good deal on that (they run small).

What size hat do you wear? I've got an extra "distressed" John Wayne hat I picked up that I would let go at a good price.

I get most of my stuff from this guy in Georgia: http://www.buffaloswildwest.com/ and Denhams in Alabama.https://www.facebook.com/Denhams-339814696108081/

Now back to you.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm: I do not have a "period correct" outfit and would like to get one or two. I would like to find some that are similar to some of John Wayne's outfits.
i thought you said you wanted “period correct”... Wink

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy!
Another long time Cowboy Action Shooter (CAS) here as well! The above poster is correct, John Wayne's outfits were Hollywood West, not period correct. No mater though, SASS cowboy action shooting is a fantasy game, not a strictly period correct game; you can dress just like your favorite TV or movie cowboy! (NCOWS cowboy action shooting is strictly period correct but I think you are probably playing with a SASS type club.)

Dress requirements for SASS CAS newbies is pretty minimal and relaxed; you can check the SASS Wire online which has the rule handbooks posted and they give the clothing requirements.

As for John Wayne's outfits, Wild West Mercantile and River Junction Trade Company (both have web sites) could probably get you close to one of his outfits.

Lastly, welcome to the posse, pard!

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. The Wild West Mercantile is not to far from me. I may have to pay a visit once everything opens up again.

Yes I would like 1 or 2 period correct outfits and 1 or 2 John Wayne type outfits.

Right now I am shooting at a local club, but later this year or next I would like to shoot in larger matches.

Rolan I will drop you an email.

Posts: 1220 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, if Hollywood correct is just fine how about going whole hog Hollywood. Dress yourself as Roy Rogers. If you don't remember Roy from the 1950's it's pretty simple, picture Las Vegas Elvis on a horse.

Just Poking a bit of fun at the CASS crowd but a clever person could actually build a rather funny CASS persona based on good old Roy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scooter, they already have; SASS has a "B Western" class and that is exactly what some shooters look like!

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]i thought you said you wanted “period correct”... Wink[/QUOTE]

One of the rules of cowboy action shooting states "The Duke can do no wrong."

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
One of the rules of cowboy action shooting states "The Duke can do no wrong."

TRUE!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post