SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I signed up for a boar hunt
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I signed up for a boar hunt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Where is the hunt?

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Garret Blaine:
Either gun is enough but if using the 556 I would ear hole them, not behind the shoulder. Because you have never hunted before I would recommend the 308 and a shoulder shot. Look up the kill zone online so you know where proper shot placement is.

This. All this.

quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Where is the hunt?

Yep. Besides just caliber, figure out the terrain in which you'll be hunting and the range(s) at which you'll likely be shooting, and make sure your gun is set up for that.

I've had a friend of a friend show up to a hog stalk in a brushy area, where the longest shot is maybe ~100ish yards and most are closer, with a bolt gun with some huge 10X+ scope on it. Needless to say, he didn't do too well.

Most of my hog hunting is at shorter ranges in timber fields with lots of undergrowth, so I stick to iron sights, red dots, and 1-4x scopes on my hog guns. But if you're in a more open area taking shots at hundreds of yards, a higher power scope would be a better choice.

Weight is also a consideration. You don't want to show up to an all-day stalk on foot with a heavy rifle. (It's not hard to put together a rifle that's pushing 15 pounds, especially with something like a large caliber semiauto with a scope and loaded magazine.) It'll tire you out more quickly, and as the day goes on your arms will get wobbly, so you might not be able to make the shots.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
which weapon system would be most effective

You mean a hunting rifle?

Shorter barreled lever action in a caliber .30 or greater with iron sights or a red dot.

Posts: 11020 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Shorter barreled lever action in a caliber .30 or greater with iron sights or a red dot.

.30-30 or .44 Magnum lever guns are very popular hog guns around here, and they work well.

(However, that's for short range hunting, as I previously discussed.)

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Might as well buy a new gun. Let me introduce you to THE pig gun. A Marlin in 35 Remington. Nothing better.

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...-61-rounds?a=1784788

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Maybe a 6.8 or 300BO upper?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My setup when I go is a Savage MSR10 Hunter in a .308 with a Steiner P4xi on it with an Atlas bipod. Probably use Remmie 165 gr coreloks

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a 300blk upper for the AR.

Oops. ruger357 beat me to it!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Most importantly, remember you only have to outrun one of your coworkers.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions thus far. I’m leaning towards the 308 still. Would love to get a new upper for my AR, but prolly not going to be able to swing it before the hunt. We are hunting in Missouri and the terrain is hilly and mix between open and woods.

Also was looking a tactical hiking type boot versus hunting boot. Not sure which way to go. I’m not a fan off tall footwear, it feels more restrictive. Shouldn’t need a lot of insulation or much waterproofing though it would be great not to have soaked feet if I have to step in some marsh land if it’s there.

Posts: 4612 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been knocking them down in Texas with 5.56, 100-200 lbs. Shoulder shots, using JSP, JHP and old Black Talons, distance of about 60-70 yards.

I don't like heavier than that, would probably be inedible.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have killed 46 hogs on static night hunts in the past 3 years, and we have killed 38 that we caught in corral traps since last August. We have killed hogs with various calibers and platforms ranging from .22 WRF, 5.56, 300 BLK, .308 win, 6.5, .243, 7mm Rem Mag, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, and 10mm pistol. The 5.56 AR and .308 seem to be most common in my area.

I like the 5.56 for quick follow up shots and I have a Kill Light and ACOG mounted on my AR. They are not hard to kill but it's all about shot placement. The vitals on a hog are lower on the body than you might expect.

There are plenty photos and diagrams for shot placement on the internet. This one is pretty accurate. I generally try to shoot behind the ear or between the eyes if I can

https://www.bing.com/images/se...ex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

Good luck and kill as many of those damned things as you can

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
If it were me, I would use it as an excuse to buy one of these.

https://www.bushmaster.com/sho...20%22-Barrel/p/91702

I have that exact upper on a gun and it's a beast! I love the round, and even though it thumps pretty good the recoil isn't unmanageable. Should handle a hog pretty well.

I also have a 450 BM. Should handle most anything in North America!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 252 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Real men don't need no gun.

A sharpened popsicle stick is all you need. Big Grin

Don't let a Lannister fill your canteen, though.....

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Good suggestions thus far. I’m leaning towards the 308 still. Would love to get a new upper for my AR, but prolly not going to be able to swing it before the hunt. We are hunting in Missouri and the terrain is hilly and mix between open and woods.

Are you going with an outfitter if so which one? They often have minimum caliber requirements. My brother in law had to borrow my .270 as his .243 was not up to outfitter standards.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've hunted pigs in the 150# to 210# range in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, and the longest shot I had was 60 yards. I'm sure the 308 will do the job, just be aware you don't want the high power optic for closer ranges. Like some of the other guys already said be aware of your wind and stalk quietly, and you can get well within range and take a nice hog.
Of all the high tech rifles I have, I've always used a 1964 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem with a 2-7 x33 Leupold in low Talley rings. That old rifle carries great, has a comfortable sling, and slaps hogs down!
Have fun on your hunt!

Posts: 3551 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Might as well buy a new gun. Let me introduce you to THE pig gun. A Marlin in 35 Remington. Nothing better.

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...-61-rounds?a=1784788

Hell Yeah! I regret selling off my .35Rem Marlin some years back....still have the two .30-30's though, and they're more than plenty for hogs. Rather than buy a new Remlin, I'd suggest looking for a used JM Stamped Marlin in either caliber.

Posts: 1735 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A .375 Socom upper would hit very hard, but be easier on the shoulder than a .450. It also is much flatter shooting.
https://tromix.com/product-category/375-socom/

Use your .223 mags and enjoy 10 rounds in a 30 round mag. Metal mags work better than Magpul mags, due to length of the cartridge.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
308 will be your best choice and will be fine. Stalk and hunt?. There may possibly be some running involved.

CW

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Marlin guide gun.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post