SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just ate my weight in oysters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just ate my weight in oysters Login/Join 
posted
Good Lord I love this time of year. Fall is in the air, and you can’t throw a cat without hitting an oyster roast. $18, all you can eat - little place down the street from me was glad I finally got up and left. Don’t ask me to move off the couch the rest of the day.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Where is this low country you speak of?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Charleston, SC?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Charleston, SC?

Technically Mt. Pleasant, which is right across the bridge from Charleston. If you’re familiar with the area, I’m a 5-7 minute walk from Shem Creek here in Mt. P. It doesn’t get much better.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! Just don't believe that old story about oysters being good for your sex life. Ate three dozen one evening and only nine of them worked. Cool

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Lord I love this time of year. Fall is in the air, and you can’t throw a cat without hitting an oyster roast. $18, all you can eat - little place down the street from me was glad I finally got up and left. Don’t ask me to move off the couch the rest of the day.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I envy you. The seafood industry in particular, the oyster crop, is non existent. Several restaurants have closed because they cannot get Gulf Oysters. The opening of the Bonne Carre Spillway diverted all the fresh water into the Mississippi Sound for months decimating the entire crop for this year. Our beaches just reopened because the fresh water promoted algae growth which kept people out of the water all summer.

I love oysters, just cannot get them fresh. Made me hungry just reading your post from the land of Pat Conroy.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yummmm....oysters. I love them any way I can get them but I'm partial to them grilled in the shell. Add a little hot sauce and I'm in heaven.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Why would you throw a cat???

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10960 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Why would you throw a cat???
The traditional expression is "not enough room to swing a cat," meaning that you are in a small cramped space.

It really does not apply, the way that it was used in the original post.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I envy you. The seafood industry in particular, the oyster crop, is non existent. Several restaurants have closed because they cannot get Gulf Oysters. The opening of the Bonne Carre Spillway diverted all the fresh water into the Mississippi Sound for months decimating the entire crop for this year. Our beaches just reopened because the fresh water promoted algae growth which kept people out of the water all summer.

I love oysters, just cannot get them fresh. Made me hungry just reading your post from the land of Pat Conroy.

That's really sad to hear. I've been wondering why I don't see any "Appalachacola Oysters" anywhere in South Florida as they're my favorite.

I love raw or fried oysters and can eat a ton of them. When I was in my late teens, early 20's my dad and I would buy a whole bushel of them, a large onion sack full of them for $38......we'd eat the hell out of them for 3 days like we were going to burst.....ohhhh the good old days...….

I feel for the OP, but wish I was him as that sounded like a royal feast.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I was once into oysters. I had a bad experience in Vegas due to a bad shucker. Mouth full of grit and shells put me off.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the "low country" of SC is all the coastal counties (with the possible exclusion of Horry county). Beaufort and Jasper counties are definitely low country (think of the geography described in "The Prince of Tides"). Many adjacent counties just inland of the coast are included.

This is the region of SC which grew rice, indigo and cotton in the antebellum days.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Shem creek bar & Grill or Reds Ice House ?

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Good to hear they are available now.
I am headed that way (Savannah) in the morning.
I needs me some oysters!

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A friend and neighbor had 100% mortality on his 6 leases. He figures it will be 3-5yrs before they are commercially viable again for harvest

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oysters are great, Hell any seafood this time of year is great if it's fresh.
Clambake today at 3pm at the local brewery before the Browns game. No, I'm not a Browns fan.
Looking forward to fresh seafood and good beer.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Years ago, we were in New Orleans. Went to an oyster bar and ordered a giant platter of oysters for 3 guys. Polished it off and returned home. Found out the other 2 guys gotten parasites. I still eat oysters but not like before.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Years ago saw a study that pointed out the three bad things you can get from eating raw oysters.... they had done a study and found out that if you drank hard liquor straight while eating the oysters you could not get two of those.... I always do a couple shots of tequila when I east them raw.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I used to really like raw oysters, I probably still would, but I stopped eating them raw when my wife (who also liked them) pointed out the very real possibility of hepatitis.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I used to really like raw oysters, I probably still would, but I stopped eating them raw when my wife (who also liked them) pointed out the very real possibility of hepatitis.

You have just as high a chance of getting hepatitis eating a salad or anything else uncooked from a restaurant...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post