SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Use A Sleep Tracker?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Use A Sleep Tracker? Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

EDIT: Poking around Amazon, I just saw the Motiv Ring.

Does anybody have any experience with these?

Not familiar with the Motiv, but I got an Oura ring about a month ago.

It was a little pricey, but I've been impressed with it. It collects lots of data with a focus on your sleep: sleep time and stages, heart rate, heart rate variability, activity, body temperature, movement, and respiration.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Let’s say you get a wonderful printout of your sleep.
It compiles daily, weekly, monthly. In color.
What the fuck do you guys do with this information.
Information with no real purpose is trivia?

If you actually have sleep disorders then go to a doctor.

I’ve never understood this fixation on sleep tracking.

Well, I can tell you from the short time I have had the device and data I have learned a few things.
It is FAR from trivial.
Sure some basic common sense habits could yield similar results.
It's not a "fixation" it is just some data that may or may not be useful in training and heart health.
As far as seeing a doc ~ having this data might be useful to him as well.

Eek

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you track sleep to see if you have a bigger problem that needs medical attention? Or so you can track your sleep on days where you drink caffeine late and adjust?

Sleep tracking seems like the biggest snake oil sales in a long time. Can someone please just give a decent answer of what good these devices do? If you went to bed and woke up refreshed and feeling good and the sleep tracker said you had a bad night, which is correct? If you sleep badly and wake up tired what does it tell you that you can actually do something with?

I get it, I’m being that guy on the thread, but can no one provide an even mildly coherent answer as to what you can use that data for in any relevant meaningful way? Adjust what? Don’t drink caffeine late, go to bed earlier, make your room dark, cold, noisemaker, anything? What does this pretty chart on my Apple Watch tell me that is useful or tells me how/what to adjust? I quickly came to realize it was the stupidest feature on the watch. On a watch filled with some amazing features and lots of stupid ones. Activity rings? Oh brother.

If your dr asks to see your Fitbit you should get a new dr. If he sees the need you will be sent for a sleep study. Not for more Fitbit data. Once again, you say it isn’t trivial. What do you possibly use the charting for? You say it’s anything but trivial. None of my business but what did you derive from this chart and then apply to your life to see a gain?

And please don’t conflate training heart rate and sleeping heart rate. Apples and oranges. Wads of useful data, hard data on how to use heart rate tracking to increase fitness efficiencies. I’m asking just how sleeping heart rate charts are used to improve sleep from a Fitbit/Apple Watch style sleep tracker.

Edited: Sorry V tail to ask these in your thread. I have no answer to your actual question. If my wife wanted one I would get her one too. Sometimes it’s just easier. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get it, I’m being that guy on the thread

Afraid so. Eek

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you are being the guy who can’t seem to answer the simplest of questions.

How does this information that is charted out so nicely translate into anything that is actually useful? Crickets.

Enjoy your sleep trackers. I know Karen likes hers.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting on the urine flow tracker and a device that you strap on to your johnson so I can know volume, time of day, stream flow, pressure flow in order to track how I urinate daily...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I get it, I’m being that guy on the thread

Afraid so. Eek
He's not alone. Some of us just decided not to join in.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
And you are being the guy who can’t seem to answer the simplest of questions.

How does this information that is charted out so nicely translate into anything that is actually useful? Crickets.

Enjoy your sleep trackers. I know Karen likes hers.

You can be a dick if you want.
I said the data may or may not be useful.
To me it is mostly interesting, nothing to start a war over.
I've only been using my HRM for abut a week now so sorry if I can give you an encyclopedia of reasons pro or con.
The data is all part of the overall picture ~ is it necessary probably not for most.
If it assists in anything positive then what's the problem.
Not for you then maybe just move on.

posted Hide Post
Fuck. I’m not asking for an encyclopedia. I started by asking the simplest of questions to all you guys who love tracking your sleep. How do you translate that beautiful fucking chart into useful information? Saying it helps me track my sleep well is akin to a gun review that says it shoots bullets. There is no meat. Can anyone provide an answer as to how they or anyone they know has used this tabulated information in a meaningful way to improve their sleep? It’s a pretty fucking simple question to a bunch of guys extolling how great they are and how much they like them.

Right now you sound like a guy who got taken but will feel better if everyone else buys into the same silliness.

How does this chart get used to improve your sleep. It’s not like I’m asking for about creation or cold fusion. How does anyone actually use it to improve their sleep? Bueller?

Yes I could move on or someone could, perhaps, answer what should be the simplest of questions.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I looked into them again recently due to some health issues, was looking at where they are with the current tech for watches with heart rate and o2 monitoring. Almost all of those have sleep monitors as well. (was really looking to monitor o2 while sleeping) Besides learning that REALLY eats battery life, I learned that sleep tracking is mostly guess work and assumption when it these personal devices. Much more so if it's the type that just uses motion. The info might be telling you one thing, or it might not.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My Polar Grit X has that feature and I have only been using this feature for a couple of weeks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I'm waiting on the urine flow tracker and a device that you strap on to your johnson so I can know volume, time of day, stream flow, pressure flow in order to track how I urinate daily...
I go to a urology doc for follow-up re radiation treatment for prostate cancer.

The questionnaire that gets filled out prior to seeing the doc asks many of these questions.

I don't think that the doc ever actually looks at this stuff, like most of the forms that we fill out (fill in?) at medical practices, these are probably used mainly to annoy the patients.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I used a FitBit for a short time; gave up on it when it showed I slept thru the entire night, ignoring the two times I got up and peed.

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My CPAP machine gives me everything I need to know.

That said were I not to need such I doubt very much I'd be acquiring any of these watch / ring gizmos you'll are mentioning. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post