SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In light of current events, get first aid training!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In light of current events, get first aid training! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
well Ive searched a 90 mile radius for classes that might teach a passer by about
respiration, pulse, eye dilation, finger nail pinch, skin condition, verbal response , shock etc, and no one around here offers some sort of 45 hour course.

Not to be certified, but just to know what to look for

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
well Ive searched a 90 mile radius for classes that might teach a passer by about
respiration, pulse, eye dilation, finger nail pinch, skin condition, verbal response , shock etc, and no one around here offers some sort of 45 hour course.

Not to be certified, but just to know what to look for

The American Heart Assoc's Heart Saver cpr, aed, first aid is what I take for work. Looks like Cedar Rapids is closest for you.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23660 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Though not ideal by any stretch, if you find yourself in an area where there simply aren't resources for training, you can find basic first aid/cpr/aed classes online. Obviously you don't get the practical, but something is better than nothing.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lude4life:
Any recommendations on a real first aid kit? Most I see seem cheesy and not worth a crap.

Or a good list of things to put together to make your own?

I guess it depends on your level of training though. I surely wouldnt need a full EMS kit...

Tourniquet for arterial bleeding on extremities. Think bomb blasts and the like. CAT is the standard, SWAT-T is the compromise.

Celox Z-Fold Gauze. For packing profusely bleeding wounds. Not so much for gunshot wounds, moreso for gaping wounds caused by car accidents and explosions.

Trauma shears. For getting through clothing so you can get to the wounds. Not everyone is wearing a t-shirt you can tear through with your hands.

CPR Mask and Gloves. To protect yourself from the ickies. Only important if you care about your own safety when rendering aid to others.

8" ABD Pad and Duct Tape. A good foundation on which you can use other stuff to apply pressure on wounds.

Epipen. To open airways in the event of anaphylaxis. Optional because it's expensive, and the people who suffer from anaphylaxis should have one on them.

Aspirin. To increase survivability during heart attacks.

Carried in a sturdy vacuum sealed bag, which can double as a chest seal.

Bonus points for a nasopharyngeal airway tube and a decompression needle if you know how to use them.

These are the things that I would consider including in a trauma kit to react to the things that people die of in the event of a horrible accident, shooting, explosion, etc.

Most things in a consumer "first aid kit" is just wound care and illness management. Bandaids, topical ointments, and OTC meds for aches and pains. In an emergency, your real concern is keeping blood from leaking out, keeping the blood inside moving, making sure that blood is oxygenated, and making sure the lights don't go out upstairs from shock. Everything else can wait.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I recommend a multi-day wilderness first aid course as the base of your first aid knowledge. I took mine with the Wilderness Medical Institute through my local REI.

The Red Cross class I took was very, very basic. Much time was spent on recognizing the signs of stroke and heart attack, performing first aid, and putting pressure on wounds. The focus was simply doing what you can until help arrived, but the presumption was always that help was arriving.

Help isn't always going to arrive. At least, not soon enough. An active shooter may keep help from getting to you. You might be in a car accident hours away from help. You might be hiking in the woods days from civilization. Or, in the case of a bombing, there simply might be too many injured for emergency medical to handle.

So I recommend Wilderness First Aid. The training assumes that help isn't coming anytime soon. It covers how to move a victim if necessary. It covers how to pack and care for a wound over a period of hours and days. It covers how to immobilize backs, necks, and broken limbs for transport. These skills, in my opinion, are more useful than "Direct someone to call 911."

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tape a single edge razor blade to the outside of the bag. They aren't easy to tear, and yeah, you should have a knife but you know how that works.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Tape a single edge razor blade to the outside of the bag. They aren't easy to tear, and yeah, you should have a knife but you know how that works.

I cut little v shaped notches all around the outside edge of the bag, 3 or 4 to a side. The notches make it easy to tear the bag open.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

I cut little v shaped notches all around the outside edge of the bag, 3 or 4 to a side. The notches make it easy to tear the bag open.

Oh, nice idea! Smile

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kerry Davis does a good job with his kits, his training classes are also excellent

Their products are outstanding. He is the instructor (among others) at Sig Academy for the Bullets and Bandages

He also donated time during the recent Aiming for Zero match we held at the academy last month along with giving away a lot of his kits to the participants to raise more funds for the organization.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I work for a major home improvement store in the Midwest. When I was hired, they made a point of stating you do "NOT" assist any customer who has been injured. You contact the general mgr, who will asses the situation, and calls 911 if needed. This is per the "Policy and Procedures" of the company. If you do help the injured customer, that is grounds for termination.

Posts: 2238 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post