SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In light of current events, get first aid training!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In light of current events, get first aid training! Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
We've all ( haven't we?) gotten training and practiced self defense with firearms. And we carry ( don't we?).

And it's been said that you are more likely to save a human life with your first aid preparedness than by firing your weapon.

If we haven't had the training and mindset conditioning to give immediate aid for wounds and shock, we should.

Why not find and take a one or two day course in your area?

The life you save might be mine. Or, your Mom's. Or, your own.

Or, a Congressman or police officer.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I may add.

Those who can afford to, get a good Med Kit put together and put in your vehicle.

You may need to use it, can be used by others, or it may be needed for you.

BTW.
Something I have been thinking for years, but never said because I did not want it misunderstood.

I appreciate LE, FD, EMS etc., however, each of us is "the first responder", all others are the "second responders".

Does not take away from their efforts and willingness to put themselves in harm’s way for others, as it is a noble thing.

That said, I think taking to heart that each of us are going to be the "first" to encounter a given situation, having that in your mind as a truism, may well help you react the best way you can, and perhaps cause you to be more vigilant in your day to day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Well said. I was actually thinking the same thing this morning on the way to work and befor the events of the day took over.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5794 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
See signature, get trained, learn to teach, train others. Also object lessons of the day.
1. Direct pressure works. Cover with a dressing and push HARD! If it soaks through do not replace dressing just pile another on top and keep pushing. You can never have enough 4x4 in your first aid kit.
2. Tourniquets may be needed if you can not keep direct pressure. Purpose built are better than improvised. Write down the time it was applied.

Get trained. Recertify as required. Things change. A few years ago I would not have taught tourniquets except as an emergency measure (amputation etc). Nor would clotting agent bandages even been mentioned. But the products have improved and been proven to work. Pressure points, constriction bandages and elevation are not in the latest curriculum.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
If you're in the northeast, the Sig Academy has an excellent class called "Bullets and Bandages".

https://www.sigsaueracademy.co...llets-and-bandages-i

I keep a small trauma kit in my range bag and in my car, plus I carry a CAT tourniquet on my belt when I'm at the range.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1916 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
A kit is definitely a must. I remember when we had an officer shot here last year it turned out that almost none of the cruisers contained trauma kits. And these are the guys more likely to need one.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
We offer a free course in that area. We are fortunate enough to have a club member who is a active duthing learned is that direct pressure has it's limitations and doesn't always work. ty medic and certified the course at Sig. Great course but pricy. Well worth the cost. Ours is given free to club members, friends and family.

One thing learned is the limitations of direct pressure. Several of us will be buying a quality tourniquet and the bandages needed for a severe trauma wound. The kits are not cheap but worth it when needed. We were warned to stay away from the cheap Ebay and amazon kits.

Anyone in the NH, MA, ME of VT area I'm gladly pass his name along if your club or organization wants to host a course.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what are the 6 things that 911 will be asking you when you report a person down ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
See signature, get trained, learn to teach, train others. Also object lessons of the day.
1. Direct pressure works. Cover with a dressing and push HARD! If it soaks through do not replace dressing just pile another on top and keep pushing. You can never have enough 4x4 in your first aid kit.
2. Tourniquets may be needed if you can not keep direct pressure. Purpose built are better than improvised. Write down the time it was applied.

Get trained. Recertify as required. Things change. A few years ago I would not have taught tourniquets except as an emergency measure (amputation etc). Nor would clotting agent bandages even been mentioned. But the products have improved and been proven to work. Pressure points, constriction bandages and elevation are not in the latest curriculum.

Thank you for teaching a WFA.
My wife and I took the course in January and now have a med kit in each vehicle as well as a more elaborate one in the camper.
We started with this one and added several items to it like a SAM Splint, Quick Clot etc.
Highly recommend..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My son was in a store and got involved when a man fell backwards and hit his head. Typical scalp wound, blood everywhere. My son took action, the store found its first aid kit and at his urging someone called 911. He stayed until the paramedic thanked him and took over.
Speaking with him afterwards he expressed frustration. Nobody did anything. They just stood around and watched.
First aid training gives you the confidence to provide care and a need to get involved.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the very least, print off the Boy Scout First Aid merit badge book and study it.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on a real first aid kit? Most I see seem cheesy and not worth a crap.

Or a good list of things to put together to make your own?

I guess it depends on your level of training though. I surely wouldnt need a full EMS kit...

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
what are the 6 things that 911 will be asking you when you report a person down ?

Share with the class, some of us are curious and would like to know.

I can rattle off a 9-line MEDEVAC request but I have no idea what a 911 dispatcher wants to hear.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I've been waiting to find this out myself. No one out there knows? Wink

Also, keeping a kit in the car in Texas summer might be a little problematic for some of the contents. What typical med kit stuff wouldn't take kindly to being subjected to 130-140 degrees for hours on a daily basis for 2-3 months?

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lude4life:
Any recommendations on a real first aid kit? Most I see seem cheesy and not worth a crap.

Or a good list of things to put together to make your own?

Kerry Davis does a good job with his kits, his training classes are also excellent.
http://darkangelmedical.com/

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

What is the address, and no we don't get pin point accurate information from your cellphone. I've had cellphone calls report certainty measured in the thousands of meters.

Nature of the injury

Number, description of the bad guys. Associated vehicles, direction of travel if they have left.

Are victims or caller armed? Descriptions of victims or caller

These are the main priorities, from there the conversation varies depending on the answers provided.

Helpful reminder, the schmo answering the phone won't be coming, yelling at them to hurry up or to just send some one only serves to delay response. While you may think the questions are stupid, there is a reason they are asked.

Especially in this day and age few cops will be rushing solo to an unk situation. If you want to see them as fast as possible, just answer the questions and let call receiver direct the interview.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Six things? I was thinking:
Is the person conscious?
Breathing and heartbeat?
Airway clear?
Pupils responsive, dilated?
Combative?
Obvious signs of trauma?

Something else to keep in your first aid kit though: the number to a good lawyer. Besides yourself and family members, trying to help a random stranger could get you sued. I hate to think that way, but you never know. Unless you are in the boonies, it might be best to wait on EMS. Major bleeding might be the exception.

Posts: 3972 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
1. If your tourniquet is in your vehicle, it is useless.

Anything you would need one for is needed within SECONDS. If you gotta run to your car for it, you will be too late.

2. It is one thing to have it, it is another thing to know how to actually use it, or WHEN to actually use it.

For the average person, you would be best off to modify your daily wardrobe/loadout to keep functional/fashionable items you can use to improvise until someone who actually knows what they are doing.

I learned this last year. Wish I had taken the class much, much sooner.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where the event happened and where are you calling from?
What happened?
How long ago?
Is the situation now safe?
How many injured and how are they injured?
What has been done to help them?

Plus:
Who you are?
What number are you calling from?
Do not hang up.

If you want to practice, put the best local traffic reporting radio station on speed dial on your mobile.

Mine is #1035 for WTOP radio.

See a traffic back up or accident?

Call it in.

Where the event happened and where are you calling from?
What happened?
How long ago?
Is the situation now safe?
EMS/Fire/Police on scene or needed?

The team at WTOP know my phone number as I've called in so many accidents and backups over the years. I've gotten really good at it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
1. If your tourniquet is in your vehicle, it is useless.

My brother just told me this a few months ago when I was making fun of him for spending $40 on a tourniquet holder for his duty belt when the tourniquet was cheaper.

Posts: 1408 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post