SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New buddy...Update pg. 2 w/ flea med question please…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New buddy...Update pg. 2 w/ flea med question please… Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
He’s living the life…

Cute puppy, labs are my favorite.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
What a cutie, congratulations!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1995 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, after the first day (and night), a few observations:

1) I was reminded, very clearly, what a lab puppy is.

2) I don't remember it being so hard to get up off the floor with the last one.

3) On the plus side, his nighttime pee schedule isn't that much different than mine, so there's that.

PS. Thanks for all the comments and well wishes.

Posts: 784 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Cute!!! You're gonna need a Jeep now, just saying.

Posts: 2047 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Cute!!! You're gonna need a Jeep now, just saying.

I'm not buying him a jeep until he retrieves his first dozen birds... Big Grin

Posts: 784 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ He's gotta earn it! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39286 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I'm so envious. I lost my buddy a few months ago and miss him something awful every day. Hope you have many happy years together.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
Congrats! I'm so envious. I lost my buddy a few months ago and miss him something awful every day. Hope you have many happy years together.
Rod

I understand completely. They leave a hole in your soul when they go. How about another buddy? It doesn't fill the hole, but it does help to not dwell on it. And thanks for the good wishes.

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pup! Does sound like he picked you, lol. I’m sure you’ll have many fun times with him!

Posts: 1153 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy for both of you...

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Well…after 1 week were both still here. Riley is already sleeping through the night, although, his night is a little different than mine. We’ll adjust. He’s still a little mouthy but getting better. Probably should have spent another week or so with Mom so she could put him in his place. Already knows “sit” and “down” but with the attention span of a gnat, performance is still hit and miss. He’ll learn quickly though. Had our first nail trimming session. That was fun. You’d think I was killing him if you heard him.

1st vet visit yesterday. All puppy tests negative (parasites/parvo). Vet is pushing Simparica Trio as flea/tick/heartworm med. While I love the idea of a single monthly med, all my previous dogs used Heartguard/Frontline. I tried doing some research, but all I can find are horror stories from folks using it. Is anyone using this med for their pups? Effectiveness / issues? I find it hard to believe that Riley’s vet would push something that would harm him. Forum vets 2nd opinion welcome. Thanks!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We looked at the flea/tick/heartworm med combos for Moose, and the prices were outrageous, plus I haven't heard great things about their effectiveness. We ended up going with a standalone heartworm med 1x/month and a flea & tick collar. The collar has been simple and highly effective...ticks are horrible here this year and I was pulling multiples off of him every day the first warm week. Since getting the collar we've only found one, and it wasn't burrowed in.

Getting him to eat the heartworm med has been the biggest challenge. My old dog you could just drop it in her dish with her food and she'd chow it right down. He eats everything around it and leaves it. We gave it to him with peanut butter and he licked all that off and spit the pill back out. Finally we broke it into tiny pieces and basically force-fed it to him. A friend gave us some "pill pockets" that we're going to try next month and see if that works any better.

Posts: 9247 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
congratulations - so cute. I have no experience with Simparica. I go with heartguard and seresto collar

Posts: 2638 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He's a cutie.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
We have had our pup on Simparico Trio with zero issues. It’s cheaper via our vet’s prescription service than via Chewy.

Hera is a 4 yr old lab / chihuahua / Aussie mix, about 50 lbs.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I've used the heartgard/frontline combo for close to 40 years on 4 different dogs with zero problems and outstanding effectiveness. While a monthly one and done is very appealing, there are way too many stories of neurological issues with the new stuff for me to get comfortable with. Where there's smoke, there's fire and all that. Probably silliness on my part but I'll stick with the old way.

And I lost my chair... Smile

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Part of the tick/flea meds decision is exposure. With short grass in a fenced yard, it’s much lower than a rural area, brushy. Yes, they can be almost anywhere, early summer is high time.

Just do the size appropriate application. After a trip north to our camp, I try to do a bath with tick shampoo upon returning.

Right now I use the off brand with the same ingredients as front line. Ticks potentially carry nasty ailments with a deep bite.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Heartguard and Frontline combo.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post