SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democrats planning to unveil bill that would add 4 justices to Supreme Court

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Democrats planning to unveil bill that would add 4 justices to Supreme Court Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
KISS. MY. ASS.

Democrats planning to unveil bill that would add 4 justices to Supreme Court

Democrats are preparing to unveil legislation that would add four seats to the US Supreme Court, according to reports on Wednesday.

The bill is expected to be introduced on Thursday, The Intercept and The Wall Street Journal reported.

Massachusetts Sen. Ed Markey, a co-sponsor of the bill, told the Journal that adding justices “will shore up the public’s confidence in the court and its legitimacy in the public’s eyes.”

Also backing the measure are House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Nadler (NY-10th District) Subcommittee Chair Hank Johnson (GA-4th District), and freshman New York Rep. Mondaire Jones. Nadler’s office wouldn’t confirm or deny the proposal to The Post.

Conservatives currently hold the majority on the bench after former President Donald Trump’s appointment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett to replace the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a liberal icon.

It is believed Barrett — Trump’s third nomination to the court — will cement the conservative tilt for decades, prompting calls from Democrats to increase the number of justices, who have lifetime appointments.

President Biden on Friday signed an executive order creating a commission that would study the “pros and cons” of expanding the court.

Justice Stephen Breyer warns Democrats against Supreme Court ‘packing’
But Markey said that, “We need more than a commission to restore integrity to the court.”

Republicans and legal purists decry the idea as “court-packing” and say it will undo the court’s historical insulation from politics.

Biden previously opposed adding seats.

Congress altered the number of justices on the court several times over the 19th Century from a low of five to a high of 10. The number was fixed at nine shortly after the Civil War.

In the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt unsuccessfully sought to expand the court after conservative justices ruled against some of his New Deal policies.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/14/...campaign=android_nyp

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
"A switch in time saved nine"

I really hope this fails as it should, and if not, I REALLY hope the people see this for what it is and take action as appropriate.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Senator Joe Manchin from West Virginia said he is not in favor of eliminating the filibuster. So without his support this is DOA.

Posts: 12715 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Anybody shocked? This is what they said they would do...Let's see how reverent they are about RBG this time around...

It's an all out power-grab/hording until the midterms next year. They're not even trying to hide it.

In my neck of the woods, there were folks waving Trump 2024 flags near one of the big intersections.

2022 and 2024 are going to be epic.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a throwaway bill that will get stuck in committee due to lack of support, or fail badly in a floor vote. It's just enough to satisfy the far left than they "tried".

Or it's a threat to SCOTUS to play along with the next few years of radical legislation they intend to pass.

If it actually happens, the entire SCOTUS should resign in protest. Anything less is abdication of their responsibility to uphold the Constitutional separation of powers. Of course, the far left justices won't resign.

Public support for court packing is rather low from the polls I've seen.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Senator Joe Manchin from West Virginia said he is not in favor of eliminating the filibuster. So without his support this is DOA.

God Bless him

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't trust him for a second.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
It's a throwaway bill that will get stuck in committee due to lack of support, or fail badly in a floor vote. It's just enough to satisfy the far left than they "tried".

Or it's a threat to SCOTUS to play along with the next few years of radical legislation they intend to pass.

If it actually happens, the entire SCOTUS should resign in protest. Anything less is abdication of their responsibility to uphold the Constitutional separation of powers. Of course, the far left justices won't resign.

Public support for court packing is rather low from the polls I've seen.

Even Harry Reid recently said in an interview that he's against it. So I have hope as well it will fail.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Yeah but, thinking about the Dems in the Senate, which one would you be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt Wink

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
How funny would it be if they approved this and didn't have time to approve any new judges then Trump or someone Trump like won the presidential election and added 4 more conservative justices lol

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Same here, after watching him turn 180 degrees after sticking his finger in the wind a few years ago, he's no saint for sure, just another mud dweller.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post