SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After action report of Dallas SWAT bombing of police shooter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After action report of Dallas SWAT bombing of police shooter Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Pretty good article/after action report of the Dallas PD SWAT team taking out the police killer with a bomb.

https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2018/standoff/

Posts: 6670 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Excellent article, thanks for posting.

Posts: 17303 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read it. Very well written.
And hooray for Dallas PD!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16180 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That was extremely informative; thanks.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47456 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That was probably the most interestingly presented article I've ever read. If that's the future of written news media, I'm all for it. Bravo.

Posts: 32629 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
"He blowed up good!"
"Yeah, he blowed up REAL good!"

Thumbs WAY up, Dallas PD!

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1200 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That was probably the most interestingly presented article I've ever read. If that's the future of written news media, I'm all for it. Bravo.

I second this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20917 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I agree. I was quite impressed with the article myself and even thought about possibly writing the author and offering up a kudos.

Posts: 6670 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I've sat through 100 or more AARs. Easily one of the best. Like a mix of After Action and Critical Stress Debrief. Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a read! It brought back all my thoughts and emotions of that day as I watched it unfold on TV but with all the missing detail. Continued thoughts and prayers for the victims, their families, and all that serve or have served our communities.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Powerful read.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Ah... If only all stories were written as well.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Damn, that is a hard read...

screen is still out of focus...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. That was quite the reading material.

After they blew him up gun fire was heard. So he was still alive after the explosion. It never said if the explosion killed him or if he shot himself?

Posts: 5439 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Wow.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article, loved the interactive nature. This would make a great movie.

The most heart-breaking part for me was the officer sucking up to the pillar, getting tunnel vision, flanked, and killed. Not highlighted in this article, but that video breaks my heart. Training is still last item to get $ for...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
The most heart-breaking part for me was the officer sucking up to the pillar, getting tunnel vision, flanked, and killed. Not highlighted in this article, but that video breaks my heart. Training is still last item to get $ for...

I think about that video almost weekly. I remember watching it for the first time, and how angry I got.

posted Hide Post
I also think about that video frequently. I also remember immediately after that event that our command staff bravoed us up (2 per car vs 1 per car) for the night. An awful night for law enforcement, but it also highlighted the courage of those officers to push forward and engage the threat.

Posts: 25 | Location: California | Registered: January 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
[T]hat video breaks my heart.

I remember the video of that part of the incident very well, and I’ve demonstrated that exact scenario in several training sessions. I don’t, however, believe there’s any reason to believe the officer developed tunnel vision. As he was hugging one side of his cover the murderer was simply able to run past the officer and literally get behind him before he was aware of the attacker’s presence.

Not using cover as we should in a dynamic high threat situation isn’t necessarily due to the lack of training. There’s a very strong tendency to get as close as possible to it for the feeling of security it gives, and it’s difficult to ignore that urge. In the qualifications and training I conduct I explain and demonstrate why we should stay back from cover. Frequently I even place a large board on the ground a few feet from the cover prop, and I tell the shooters that it’s there to remind them not to crowd the cover when shooting. Despite just having been told not to, however, very often someone will step over the board, and sometimes even straddle it with his feet to get as close to the cover as he can. We can break that habit, but for many people it requires a lot of repetition and practice, and even then that’s just training, not real world situations when we’re being shot at.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47456 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post