SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Loran to GPS conversion - Long Shot question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loran to GPS conversion - Long Shot question Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
So whats at those numbers?

I believe it is an old dredge site for a beach refurbishment project in the 70's. 65' deep and nothing but sand all around it, but get to the pit and it drops to 95'. Pretty much a shear wall to the south. About the size of a football field more or less. Last time I dropped on that site was in the mid 90's. Would like to see how filled in it is now after all the hurricanes and storms.

That would be interesting to see what's happened. My guess is it's filled in. I always think of the Speigel in Key Largo and how it was on its side until a hurricane came through and uprighted it. I was lucky enough to dive it both ways. Don't mess with mother nature.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
So whats at those numbers?

I believe it is an old dredge site for a beach refurbishment project in the 70's. 65' deep and nothing but sand all around it, but get to the pit and it drops to 95'. Pretty much a shear wall to the south. About the size of a football field more or less. Last time I dropped on that site was in the mid 90's. Would like to see how filled in it is now after all the hurricanes and storms.

That would be interesting to see what's happened. My guess is it's filled in. I always think of the Speigel in Key Largo and how it was on its side until a hurricane came through and uprighted it. I was lucky enough to dive it both ways. Don't mess with mother nature.

I'm thinking it is pretty filled in by now, last time I dived on it was in like 1996.

Same here with the Speigel. There is another wreck off Pompano, Jim Atria, that was in 115' and on it side prior to Andrew, dropped on that wreck a few times, then Andrew came through, it moved the wreck East into 120' and it is now sitting up right, no damage at all during the "move". Cant imagine the surge.

Andrew also stomped the Mercedes wreck in the middle and complete obliterated a small wreck (forget the name). Damaged a few others to. Any wreck in the 90' range was damaged, shallower no damage at all and deeper, like the Atria, got moved or no damage

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iirc sport fishermen and some commercial fishermen hated to see loran go away. the loran coordinates would repeat in to open sea 6'. now even the best GPS is only accurate to 10 meters. if you are looking for that special honey hole or coral reef, it is harder to find.

ymmv

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
iirc sport fishermen and some commercial fishermen hated to see loran go away. the loran coordinates would repeat in to open sea 6'. now even the best GPS is only accurate to 10 meters. if you are looking for that special honey hole or coral reef, it is harder to find.

ymmv

john

The Loran repeatability I usually see quoted is much worse than that. This Coast Guard Loran Handbook claims repeatability was usually at worst 300 feet with repeatability below 50 feet in some areas. If you scroll up from that link it says 50-200 feet was typical. https://books.google.com/books...epeatability&f=false

Current good "normal" GPS systems are accurate within 6 feet 95% of the time. https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Dual frequency GPS receivers that use the new higher-frequency signal (which began being transmitted a year or two ago) from the most recent generation of satellites bring that below 1 foot. The hardware isn't common yet but doesn't have to be terribly expensive. A number of current-generation smartphones have dual-frequency GPS chips.

Really expensive survey-grade GPS equipment gets the accuracy below an inch.

The reason they hated to see Loran go away is that at the time Loran went away, selective availability (intentional error introduced by the government) and limited computational power limited GPS accuracy to about 300 feet.

Selective availability was turned off in 2000.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
maladat is entirely correct.

Southflorida, you could ask around and see if anyone has any old LORAN overlay paper charts. You could then do a direct plot of the T-D lines and pull LAT/LON off for GPS input. Unfortunately I just cleaned out a storage area that had a ton of old LORAN charts. Gone I'm afraid.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post