SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Loran to GPS conversion - Long Shot question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loran to GPS conversion - Long Shot question Login/Join 
posted
I have seen over the years that you can ask the most obscure question on this forum and damn if there aint someone that can answer it. So here is my long shot. I have old Loran numbers that I need converted into GPS. Anyone have that app or can do it on their GPS unit. Numbers are for a dive site off the S Florida coast. Numbers are from 1988 or before: 62101.3 / 14269.6

62101.3 / 14269.6

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Lol, I haven’t seen a chart in a long time that had loran on it, of course I haven’t sailed and acted as navigator for twenty years...

But I think that most gps devices have a conversion in them

Have you tried the book for your GPS?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
According to Garmin, all current (Garmin) GPS models can handle this. Does this apply to your GPS?

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's a device I haven't heard of in a looooonnnngggg time.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I think you need to know which stations sent the signals because the time difference is relative to the stations from which the signals originated.

Posts: 11612 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Possible help - https://youtu.be/LcE4GgFp0d8

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 358 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
You could try this if you have coordinates for a few other loran waypoints you can find visually.

http://www.floridasportsman.co...15/life-after-loran/

It looks like there really isn't a way to convert without some error due to limitations with Loran technology.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
According to Garmin, all current (Garmin) GPS models can handle this. Does this apply to your GPS?

That is the ask, i dont have a Garmin or any other unit (sold the boat years ago) so I figured if someone had a Garmin or something the same they would load in those Loran numbers and "presto" I get GPS numbers!

And I understand they wont be perfect, but I just need close. My only source for this site has visual line ups also....but the sky line has changed significantly since it's publish date, so they are no help

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
62101.3 / 14269.6

Macon, GA

14269.6 / 62101.3

Bud Krohn Reef

Posts: 11612 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
62101.3 / 14269.6

Macon, GA

14269.6 / 62101.3

Bud Krohn Reef
Hah! Reminds me of Yet Another True Story (I got a million of them).

Back in the early 1970s, I was a partner in an Irwin 32, moored at Burnham Park on Chicago's beautiful lakefront. On a bright sunny Saturday, we loaded up with girlfriends, sandwiches, and beer, and set sail to Michigan City, Indiana.

Navigation for this was a pretty simple; a course of 120 degrees would do the trick, but my partner was anxious to show off his new skill. Bob had been taking a course in Celestial Navigation at the planetarium.

I knew nothing about that discipline, but I certainly knew how to read a compass, so I took the helm while Bob took a shot with his trusty plastic student sextant, then disappeared below, to work out our position (I could have told him that we were 12 miles southeast of Chicago).

Bob worked furiously with his charts, navigation tables, and other stuff, while the bikini-clad ladies on deck with me passed out sandwiches and beer, and I kept an eye on the sail trim and the compass.

After what seemed like hours, Bob emerged from the work table down in the cabin, and triumphantly announced that he had a position fix. Of course, by the time he figured out where we were, we were not there any more, but thatt did not matter -- Bob had calculated that we were exactly 3.7 miles from downtown Albuquerque.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
62101.3 / 14269.6

Macon, GA

14269.6 / 62101.3

Bud Krohn Reef

Not Bud Krohn reef, small area called the Sinkhole. (more of a dredge site)

posted Hide Post
I'm getting 26.18305556, -80.0633333, which puts me off Silver Shores in Broward County FL. Don't know how accurate it is though.

Posts: 161 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Yacht Captain. The only way I know how to convert them is to get a paper chart with loran numbers on it and convert them.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post

Posts: 871 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^That's what I used. Then I tried to find it on my $15 Navionics Boating HD app by moving the cursor manually. I did finally figure out how to manually put Lat/Lon into it. You hit the magnifying glass and tap the Lat/Lon tab in the upper right.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
So whats at those numbers?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
Loran A or C? It might make a difference.

Posts: 271 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo! I had seen that before but could not figure it out. But through hit/miss I got it to work!

I think it will get me close.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
So whats at those numbers?

I believe it is an old dredge site for a beach refurbishment project in the 70's. 65' deep and nothing but sand all around it, but get to the pit and it drops to 95'. Pretty much a shear wall to the south. About the size of a football field more or less. Last time I dropped on that site was in the mid 90's. Would like to see how filled in it is now after all the hurricanes and storms.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drew136:
I'm getting 26.18305556, -80.0633333, which puts me off Silver Shores in Broward County FL. Don't know how accurate it is though.

Way off, those numbers are in 300' of water. interesting is that the numbers I posted from my old Loran were spot on, I had numbers from a book, they were off a bit, but got me close.