SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I got lucky this weekend (no, not like that) and made it all the way home.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got lucky this weekend (no, not like that) and made it all the way home. Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
So I'm on the road with my brother to pull a windshield out of a car in the junkyard. He finally found one that fits. The popular auto glass shops decided the car is too old to have one. Round trip is about 160 miles of mind numbing lanes on concrete as far as the eye can see.

Changed my oil earlier and topped off all of the fluids. Tires were good and the road was clear. Heard a funny noise on the way back. No engine lights, gauges are where they needed to be. Made it home. Came back later to check to see if I could find out what it was. The serpentine belt was crazy loose. I remembered that the noise didn't change when the AC was turned on or off, alternator looked fine, water pump is tight, tensioner pulley was fuu...

Yikes!

I was able to order a new tensioner assembly from the manufacturer for about fifty bucks. Should be able to swap it out in twenty minutes or so tomorrow. Looks like the Lord was making it stay together the whole time.

The windshield they had was cracked, but my brother managed to get a lot of hard to find parts while we were there, so it was a day well spent.

Anybody else have luck like this?

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What's the year make and model of your brother's car? Maybe someone here can be of help also.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Might as well get a belt and change it while you have the tensioner off. The old one might have gotten hot and stretched while it was loose

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Got one.

It was just the fun part of seeing the pulley was still on the the tensioner arm, but the bearing had desintegrated and was mostly gone.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Did some research and found out that the windshield has a different part number than most (1 1/2 inches shorter).

Maybe you can buy one of the other windshields and have a glass shop cut it down to fit. Obviously you should find a real glass shop and ask if they can do it before spending any money.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have on more than one occasion driven hundreds of miles with my phone on my bumper without losing it. I figure that is darn near miracle status.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post