SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What I do not miss at all about living in Mesa/Phoenix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I do not miss at all about living in Mesa/Phoenix Login/Join 
posted
Last night , here in tiny town was dead calm, all night.

I still dread the thought of 90 minutes of fire works and hundreds of rounds of gun fire on the 4th of July and New years eve.

Man O man its nice w/o that crap.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54678 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Well, it will be at least 20 degrees warmer here today and it is not Illinois. Smile

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
woke up to a snow covered yard this morning

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53210 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Some of the local assholes in suburban North St. Louis County were doing their annual weapon checks last night.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m currently visiting my daughter and son in law and their boys in Virginia so it was quiet, but in Maui the security system audio was quite busy recording aerial bombs because I forgot to disable the microphone before going to sleep here.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no way that I would consider moving out of So. Az. There was snow on the mountain tops this A.M., it was beautiful!!

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly, it was quiet in Jerkwater last night. I guess the drought must have caused the county to shut down the fireworks stands and the cold, damp wind discouraged the local imbeciles from going outside to waste ammo. It suited me and my old dog just fine.

Posts: 26930 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
17 degrees last night. 30 Mph wind gusts and lake effect snow.
All is calm..... All is bright.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Yes, it was a beautiful night for a ride...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Spent New Years Eve at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley CA. with my wife and daughter.Freezing cold and windy!
I have to get back to Chicago just to warm up.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've been shoveling 6" of snow from our front entry courtyard and long driveway since 10am this morning. Our roads don't get plowed by the county so there's still a lot of snow and slush. The 28 degree temperatures today don't do much to diminish it. It'll be down into the teens tonight. Even north Phoenix and Scottsdale got some snow.

Sure is pretty on the native trees and surrounding mountains though. The temperatures give us good excuse to burn some wood. We're natives but you couldn't pay me to move back to the 'Valley of Damned' with no burn days.

Not a single gun shot or fireworks to be heard.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Last night was in the top 5 craziest nights of my career.

Mostly because of drunk assholes, including the one that let off 30 rounds from an AR when we were approaching his house. We had two murders last night and one pedestrian ran over.

Hell of a way to ring in the new year.

I can't wait to retire and get the hell away from any big city.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Every New Years Eve, several of us would just "show up" unannounced, at a concrete covered parking garage. We all knew it was there and that's were we would just weirdly be drawn too without an announcement. After the midnight gunfire, we would lurk out and go back to our beats/patrol.

I can attest that a falling .45 round will puncture all the way through a Mobil home roof and land on the kitchen counter. I took that report.

and

A falling bullet will pierce right through a fiber optic line causing the utility company to spend New Years day replacing overhead line.

Now, 3-years retired, I slept through it all last night.

Happy New Year to all and be safe.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Some of the local assholes in suburban North St. Louis County were doing their annual weapon checks last night.
The street my Cousin used to live on in Chicago would have given those Arizona cities a run for their money. I've been there when 4 July sounded like a war zone. (My Cousin and her husband have moved to rural Arizona.)

FWIW, it was fairly quiet in my area last night until about 0010 the next door neighbors unleashed at least 2 guns in their back yard. Those were VERY loud!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to park under a bank drive thru for 20 minutes or so while the local idiots were clearing their guns thru the barrel, if I was at work

Now I’m retired, I stay home, we moved to Temple Tx last June and I found last night that the local neighbors had plenty of fireworks...even though they are not allowed in the city...sigh, I wanna move to the country again and not have neoighbors

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rural is GREAT, thanks for the stories reminding me!

Very cold last night, very dark, slightly windy, but QUIET!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
before I moved from Phoenix, They showed four police cars on the news at midnight , one year,

All four were parked under the two I-10 bridges on the west side of town.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54678 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I think a lady in Raleigh , NC was hit by celebratory gunfire New Years Eve.

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/...ation-503762391.html

And in Richmond,Va a few years back, a young boy was killed by random falling New Years Eve gunfire.

Shoot into the ground, dammit, makes the same amount of noise! Or better yet, don't be shooting!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All the rain put a damper on the Pennsyltucky redneck idiots shooting off fireworks and other loud noisemakers around my way, thank God.

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Last night was in the top 5 craziest nights of my career.

including the one that let off 30 rounds from an AR when we were approaching his house.

You can't leave the story there. What happened after that?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post