SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For cyclist- Peloton vs Wahoo core trainer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For cyclist- Peloton vs Wahoo core trainer? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have a old fluid trainer that I hate. It’s loud and I have a hard time using it on a regular basis. I am looking at theses two options, the Peloton is a lot of money. The wahoo is much cheaper but still seems good and half the price.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I think Pelotons are pretty much top of the line, which is worth paying for IMO. But, they also require a monthly $39 membership.

I'm not quite sure how they can keep the bike from working if you choose not to do the membership, but it kept me from purchasing.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I would go for a stand alone trainer for the simple reason that you use your own bike that should already be fitted to you (If not, I highly recommend getting a professional bike fit). If you’re going to be using Zwift I would go with a Wahoo trainer.

Do you have your own power meter by chance? If so, you should take a look at the Kickr Snap for additional cost savings over the Kickr Core. My wife has one and I’ve actually taken that one over since my Elite Drivo doesn’t work as well over Bluetooth as it does Ant+ (Doesn’t provide as much resistance as I like on flats and downhills...but works well enough for my wife). We had to sell our MacBook Pros last summer to help fund the new septic system, so we’ve been using our iPad Pros for Zwift.

If you’re going to be using Ant+ to connect to Zwift and might be interested in my Drivo let me know...maybe we could meet up somewhere since you’re in northwest Indiana. It’s a great trainer and it’s direct drive like the Kickr Core.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO whatever is successful in getting you to work out is worth the money. I have heard that Peloton is very good, but I have no first hand experience with it. I cycle when the weather is good, and do indoor cycling when the weather is bad because it is a great workout and is pretty easy on your body. There are a lot of pretty thorough reviews on Peloton online.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I use a smart trainer (BKool Pro) which cost $10.00 per month for the premium service which allows me to import my outdoor real rides (route, road grade, and time completed) so I can ride them virtually inside.

Cost of my unit was $599.00.

I am going to upgrade to a TacX Genious smart trainer in a couple paydays.

I think a smart trainer plus the bike you ride on the road is better than the Peloton as you can get realistic shifting from your bike (instead of turning a knob for resistance on the Peloton), and you can get the same type of workouts as the Peloton, or a workout which simulates a ride outside.

Check out Zwift (www.zwift.com) for a platform to control your smart trainer as this puts you in a virtual route with graphics and other people riding, and look at the BKool platform (www.bkool.com) for another virtual platform.

I use a Wheel on trainer as my weight prohibits me the use of a direct drive trainer.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Someone is paying for that big over the top Peloton marketing campaign. Buy one and it's you. Should you be needing the trainer/ motivator with a club-like feel yes, they do that. It's not interactive, you must change the tension like an ordinary spin bike. But if you have a bike.....

Get a smart trainer w/power and bluetooth to connect to any number of subscriptions. TACX, Wahoo ect. Most are interactive, you can get a lot of info from the included screens, for less than Peloton rates you get tons of training guides, can upload your rides from Gooogle or Garmin, download maps, race against yourself/groups/even pros. You can even ride in a video (not a cartoon) w/ a hundred choices, in the first person view. These can be way more functional, as well as 1/2 the cost.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I've got a Wahoo Kickr Snap and use it with Zwift in the winter. Not enough, but I use it Wink

I have the one where you leave the wheel on as it was less expensive. If I had the funds, I would have done the Kickr Core with the direct drive.

Smart trainers are the way to go.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have to get motivated and I need my bike fitted as well. I have gained weight and my fitness has fallen to nothing. I need something that will get me going.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sick of the Peloton commercials. The other product must be better. As noted earlier you are paying for the over the top ads.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Jeez. I feel old. When I raced back in the day(Atb/rd/cross....12 years ago)..I used rollers in winter on a cold porch and heart rate monitor when I was feeling like a wimp and didn’t wanna go out side....Ahhhh the days spent staring at traffic and suffering for 90 min every morning..
The stationary trainer was for race prep/warm up in strange towns or nasty event starts.

I know I did not contribute here, but I do Hope you figure out the right way to go!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Peloton model is hotter, so...

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I research treadmills, I start by checking out complaints/reviews on the Better Business Bureau's website. Peoloton doesn't have any. While they have an A+ rating, I don't put much faith in those. The BBB has to pay their bills somehow. Peloton has a new treadmill that I personally wouldn't invest in. It's just got too many questionable features. That and I read one complaint about the deck causing knee problems.

When you say your fitness level has fallen to zero, is there a reason that you stopped cycling? Will you be using your bike for transportation to work during good weather? Do yo have a goal in mind (weight loss/upcoming competition)?

Good luck!

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
Jeez. I feel old. When I raced back in the day(Atb/rd/cross....12 years ago)..I used rollers in winter on a cold porch and heart rate monitor when I was feeling like a wimp and didn’t wanna go out side....Ahhhh the days spent staring at traffic and suffering for 90 min every morning..
The stationary trainer was for race prep/warm up in strange towns or nasty event starts.

I know I did not contribute here, but I do Hope you figure out the right way to go!

Do people know what rollers are anymore? Mine had two fans, but I rode with one. It was enough.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Ha. Not sure.
Our shop would host inter shop roller races. (1k sprints.) For beer and bragging rights
But it sold piles of rollers.

We would see 80-90kph sometimes to. No kidding. Not lyin’ .

Scary balls out fun.
Sound like the Peloton has some cool stuff on the mix.

I got to play with the compu-trainer abunch. That’s was neat. It was sync’d with
Video footage of the Tour de France.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I spent half the amount on Assos winter clothing and I get my butt outside and ride. Much more fun than a indoor trainer.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the suggestions especially the riding outside that not going to happen! I do t ride out if it’s below 50...haha.

YAT-YAS

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
Personally I would go for a stand alone trainer for the simple reason that you use your own bike that should already be fitted to you (If not, I highly recommend getting a professional bike fit). If you’re going to be using Zwift I would go with a Wahoo trainer.

Do you have your own power meter by chance? If so, you should take a look at the Kickr Snap for additional cost savings over the Kickr Core. My wife has one and I’ve actually taken that one over since my Elite Drivo doesn’t work as well over Bluetooth as it does Ant+ (Doesn’t provide as much resistance as I like on flats and downhills...but works well enough for my wife). We had to sell our MacBook Pros last summer to help fund the new septic system, so we’ve been using our iPad Pros for Zwift.

If you’re going to be using Ant+ to connect to Zwift and might be interested in my Drivo let me know...maybe we could meet up somewhere since you’re in northwest Indiana. It’s a great trainer and it’s direct drive like the Kickr Core.

I’ll keep that in mind.... I’ll shoot you an email.

YAT-YAS

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Winter riding is really not that difficult. Layering with a proper base layer is key. I've gone down to the middle 20's for short rides of 5 to 10 miles. You just have to experiment for your body type and effort level. Rides in the 30's and up are no problem. 32 to 40 I have one problem. My feet get cold because of a moister management issue. My socks are damp after about 15 miles. Haven't solved that one yet.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also look at the concept 2 bike erg.
Bike Erg
And Rogues own Echo bike.
Rogue Echo Bike

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Winter riding is really not that difficult. Layering with a proper base layer is key. I've gone down to the middle 20's for short rides of 5 to 10 miles. You just have to experiment for your body type and effort level. Rides in the 30's and up are no problem. 32 to 40 I have one problem. My feet get cold because of a moister management issue. My socks are damp after about 15 miles. Haven't solved that one yet.

I hear what your saying but I spent most of my life in SoCal and I just don’t like riding in cold weather! I tried layering and all that the first couple of years I lived here and would rode into the 30’s but just don’t enjoy it.

YAT-YAS