SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What type of utensil do you use to clean the sides of a cast iron skillet?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of utensil do you use to clean the sides of a cast iron skillet? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Chainmail user here.

I scrape with the metal spatula and finish with chainmail. Pat dry and wipe some EVOO or avocado oil into the pan. Put it on the stove until it begins to smoke, remove and wipe the excess oil off.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Yup. I go with Cowboy Kent. I never use soap. Salt and hot water and wooden tools for us.

Here is stargazers thoughts on cleaning ….

https://stargazercastiron.com/...n-cast-iron-cookware

0:01

Posts: 4212 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Chainmall here too! Been using it for years and years.

Yup - Grab one off amazon. These work great.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like to find one some where else other than Amazon. I don't really want to spend $25 for the Lodge one. Seems like you should be able to find one for about $10 somewhere.

But some of the other suggestions have worked well.

Not using a paper towel was a good one. Thanks Signified Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Simmering water in the pan, then use of the blue Scotch Brite pad under hot water is all I've ever had to use. Then back over the burner for a quick heat-up, wiping with a piece of paper towel or cotton cloth/towel to remove any beads of excess moisture.

Edit: If Mr. Rollins is of the opinion that using paper towel for a few seconds to simply remove beads of water from a hot pan is detrimental, wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with him.

Posts: 2782 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Signified mentioned that the fibers of the paper towel will end up in the pan. Which after hearing that have transitioned away from using and have found it beneficial in my case. some paper towels are more fiberous than others.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you what I did for my Mom's cast iron skillet when I was a kid.
About every couple of years she would have me take a cold chisel and wail away on the accumulated rock-hard bacon grease. That was the bacon grease that sat in a mug on the stove for frying. She lived to 98.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
Simmering water in the pan, then use of the blue Scotch Brite pad under hot water is all I've ever had to use. Then back over the burner for a quick heat-up, wiping with a piece of paper towel or cotton cloth/towel to remove any beads of excess moisture.

Edit: If Mr. Rollins is of the opinion that using paper towel for a few seconds to simply remove beads of water from a hot pan is detrimental, wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with him.

Ha ha ha!

A little touchy aren’t we?

It’s just about not getting lint on the pan bro.

ORC understands; not building rockets here. lol

My mileage varies.

And I generally avoid throwing salt on iron and steel unless it’s necessary for the recipe.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by sse:

Ha ha ha!

A little touchy aren’t we?

It’s just about not getting lint on the pan bro.

ORC understands; not building rockets here. lol

My mileage varies.

And I generally avoid throwing salt on iron and steel unless it’s necessary for the recipe.

so I disagree some nonsense from YT, and I'm touchy...seems odd

Posts: 2782 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Use a Paper towel to wipe out the excess water after it's cleaned to finish drying, don't see any issued with the cast iron and been doing it for quite a while.

I'd like to see some scientific proof that drying a CI pan with a paper towel can damage the pan somehow, other than a guy or two saying it.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Use a Paper towel to wipe out the excess water after it's cleaned to finish drying, don't see any issued with the cast iron and been doing it for quite a while.

I'd like to see some scientific proof that drying a CI pan with a paper towel can damage the pan somehow, other than a guy or two saying it.

No one is saying that brother. Big Grin

We’re just trying to keep paper fibers out of a pan (that has enough texture on it that it will grab at the paper towel), and leave paper out of your cooking pan. That is all. Wink

We use a dish towel instead.

Maybe if you cleaned the pan yourself, you would see what we were talking about. I’m sure your wife knows. Wink

Btw: Paper towels are handy and I use them.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
This is a pretty old pan now that I look at it. Not sure where I got it. The only thing I can see on it is Erie, PA on the bottom. Any ID based on that

Guessing a Griswold.
Old Grizwold... They were marked "ERIE" prior to the Griswold logo being used.

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks APB. Good to hear for you again.

posted Hide Post
Coarse salt and/or a wood spatula.

Posts: 924 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I give it to the dogs.

They are remarkably thorough.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post