SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What type of utensil do you use to clean the sides of a cast iron skillet?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of utensil do you use to clean the sides of a cast iron skillet? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I usually cook with some water in the pan. That way nothing sticks and only a brush is needed to clean it.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a stainless steel wool pad for my stainless steel pots.

I only use nylon scrubbing pad on the cast iron.

YMMV, but this works well.

I oil before storage and usage.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
ok guys, I washed in hot soapy water. Used a poly dish brush with a handle. Washed and dried a couple of times. Came pretty clean. I think the chain mail would really finish it off. The interior is pretty smooth. Not like glass though Smile
This is a pretty old pan now that I look at it. Not sure where I got it. The only thing I can see on it is Erie, PA on the bottom. Any ID based on that?
The outside Looks worn. Not sure if I could restore a smoother finish to it. How would I, or should I?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Is this a pan you use frequently or something you’re restoring?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
ok guys, I washed in hot soapy water. Used a poly dish brush with a handle. Washed and dried a couple of times. Came pretty clean. I think the chain mail would really finish it off. The interior is pretty smooth. Not like glass though Smile
This is a pretty old pan now that I look at it. Not sure where I got it. The only thing I can see on it is Erie, PA on the bottom. Any ID based on that?
The outside Looks worn. Not sure if I could restore a smoother finish to it. How would I, or should I?

Guessing a Griswold.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Neither actually. But I did use today to cook some burger. So it is in usable condition. But not something i use too often. Hopefully I will use more often.

Thanks 6guns, I wondered.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not an expert and it's hard to say w/o pics but if you wanted to remove all seasoning and buildup, rust etc., you can cook it off.
I think some have used the "clean" cycle in their oven w/ a foil lined tray on the rack below to catch droppings.
What I did w/ a rusted out basement find was to get my Big Green Egg up to 700+ in the dome, put the pan face down on the grate right over a load of coal, open vents all the way and walked away for an hour. Everything flaked off, hit w/ a scrubbie and re-seasoned it a couple times.

But that's last resort.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

About the only way to restore the outside other than sanding is to completely strip the pan down to bare cast iron but you have to start the seasoning process again.

I have 3 old Griswolds that were my grandmother's that were in rough shape. I stripped them down to bare cast iron and re-did them. One still has some pitting on the bottom and a bit on the side.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have a chainmail scrubber, like the one pictured in bald1's post on page 1. Recently I found and purchased one with a silicone insert which gives my hand a better purchase on it and helps to keep my fingers off the scalding pan surface.

So I use both, along with a scrub brush I like. NOT the lodge version that melts....but one made with coconut fibers, which is working great and has lasted a year of everyday use so far:

https://a.co/cyWn4iA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ That chain mail above is the ticket.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
To really clean them all the way, Mrs Tinyman's Father used to build a fire and when it had burned down to embers, he stuck the skillet into the embers. About 2-3 hours later, pull it out, hang it up with a piece of wire and let it cool. Wire brush removes all the loose stuff.

Reseason it by coating the skillet with Crisco and into the oven at 350F for about an hour.

Her Daddy then passed this bit of sage advice, "when it's seasoned properly, all you need to clean it with is a damp rag". Never put it in dishwater.

He's no longer with us, but it's how I have continued the tradition.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Who cleans a cast iron frying pan?

A dip in some hot water while mildly hot, dry off and wipe with sunflower or safflower oil.

Chain mail is cool but I never had use for it other then possibly HEMA Smile

When the outside gets cruddy, take it down with a paint stripping wheel.

Only had to do it once to a frying pan that’s been in daily use since 1955, good old family iron.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Again guys, thank you. The interior of this particular pan can out pretty darn nice. I must admit. With just a couple warm water and soap washs with a poly brush. Dry on the stove. Add some oil. Get hot and wipe out with a rag. Done. The outside, is the outside. I see no reason to do much.
This winter I might try to throw into the hot ember fire for an hour trick to see if that would help. I suspect it would. Thanks again guys and gals. You are so awesome. Big Grin

/

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Just a stiff plastic brush. Scotchbrite if I really burn something on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I too use the one posted by AKSuperDually.
Light pressure and a quick rinse is all that's needed and it doesn't effect my seasoning.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
as Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I can't go an iron skillet thread without posting my favorite video...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24130 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My principal iron pan maintenance tools:

1st, chainmail as others have mentioned.
2nd, a silicone spoonula.
3rd, a “griddle scraper”.

If a wipe-down with a blue paper shop towel works I stop there. If it doesn’t:

I put a little oil into the pan and set it on a burner of my ceramic cooktop. Heat set to 3 (1-9 scale). Put in the chainmail and work it around with the silicone spoonula. That gets most crud off. Hot oil is a good detergent! If I think I’m detecting some crud that hasn’t come off I give that spot a swipe with the spoonula. It takes ALL of the oil off that spot so I can see if there is crud still there.

If so, I apply the little griddle scraper to the spot. That, along with the hot oil, quickly takes off even the most stubborn crud.

The silicone spoonula is very stiff except a bit of flexibility at its front edge.

The griddle scraper was sold as such. It was as dull as a butter knife, but I put a sharp edge on it. An inch wide, rounded corners are a nice touch.

Another pan and spoonula:

Both of these pans are wrought iron rather than cast iron. Smooth inside and out except for a bead blast to hold the seasoning.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For most cast iron cleaning situations, salt and a bit of elbow grease is all you need. Either use your hands to rub the salt around and dislodge those harder bits or, get a scrubber of some kind that you dedicate for just cast iron. Most people don't use enough oil/butter when cooking and/or, never allow it to get hot enough before they start cooking, nothing worse than dropping a cold piece of meat, onto a rising but, not hot enough pan. Frown

Chain mail is much better than a Brillo pad, aggressive but, not overly abrasive that'll loosen up those stubborn bits.

Soap and hot water only on a rare occasion, really only to take off an excessive amount of grease. You're trying to preserve the built-up patina that results in a non-stick-like finish. If you hot water/soap clean it after every usage you'll remove it and eliminate the point of having a cast iron pan. Owners can get very religious about the use of soap on cast iron.

Dry over a hot burner to evaporate any moisture, add a few drops of oil, spread it around as it heats up, let it smoke for a minute. Remove from heat and let cool in your oven.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If you lose the layer of polymers (The “seasoning “) on the surface of the pan from hot water and soap in a good brushing; you never ever had it.

It doesn’t wash off.

Acid (food) will take it off, as well a Brillo pad with the proverbial 200 pound gorilla on it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I thought this video might be helpful to some here.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post