SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Parker Solar Probe scheduled to launch tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Solar Probe scheduled to launch tonight Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted
You can watch the live coverage here. The launch window opens at 3:33am Eastern time. The launch of PSP will be the final piece of NASA’s original goals, to send something to orbit the Sun. PSP will also become the fastest man made object ever as it starts to orbit the Sun.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fingers Crossed! Thought about driving over to watch but didn't have the time. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for this thing to get where it's going. Pretty awesome.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm so amazed they haven't tried to get closer to the Sun in all these years. I think they are using carbon chain or carbon composite material of some sort. They are getting four million mi to Sun, last best attempt was 27.

NASA and USA rock!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Maybe if they orbit the sun at night, they won't need so much thermal protection! Razz

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Maybe if they orbit the sun at night, they won't need so much thermal protection! Razz

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

What? Seems like a good idea to me, plus they can run skeleton crew to monitor it at night. I think it's brilliant.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
The cryogenic propellants are currently being loaded, but liftoff has been pushed back to 3:53am EST.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

What? Seems like a good idea to me, plus they can run skeleton crew to monitor it at night. I think it's brilliant.

I agree. That's why I'm nodding my head in an affirmative "that's not a bad idea" way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
What gases are they flaring off to make that reddish orange flame?

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Scrubbed. Major bummer. Hopefully it'll get off the ground on the next attempt which is looking like Sunday morning.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Kind of late notice, but there will be another launch attempt tonight. The window opens at 3:31am EST.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I just want to say that we are currently in Daylight Savings Time. So the launch time will be at 3:31am EDT, actually. That's all. Wink

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Beautiful launch.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Just watched it launch from South Florida. Picked it up above the horizon about a minute after launch, South East trajectory kept it bright until booster separation. Very cool.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
By all accounts a successful launch and spacecraft separation. Go PSP!

posted Hide Post
Great launch!

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna be honest, those of us who work at NGIS (formerly Orbital ATK) were sweating the payload separation for reasons different than Zuma. The telemetry dropouts did not help the situation!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
I’m gonna be honest, those of us who work at NGIS (formerly Orbital ATK) were sweating the payload separation for reasons different than Zuma. The telemetry dropouts did not help the situation!
Yeah that has to be some serious pucker factor after launch! Congrats!

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Fascinating! Sounds like we'll start to get some interesting news in about three months.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post