SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pic hosting site
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pic hosting site Login/Join 
posted
What site do you use? I suppose it’s time I get off my ass and learn how to do this.
Computer illiterate so keep it to easy to use sites please.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
postimage.org

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awwww Son of a Bitch!
I just signed up for something else CC info and all.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suspect that all free photo hosting sites will eventually cease operations or begin charging exorbitant fees, as TinyPic did a couple of years ago. So I’m willing to pay ImageShack.com $19/year to host my photos. ImageShack also supports avatars, unlike most free photo hosts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Depends on the use of the photo.

If you want to host avatars, you're shit out of luck with the freebies like postimage. It's against their terms of service and it's blocked. A few sigforumites host, but several have quit doing it so I moved to a pay site (imageshack.com).

Regular photos (e.g. memes) that you post in a thread then pretty much any free site will do this. I've been using postimage for years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant I attempted to sign up for postimage but it directed me to another site where I signed up with my cc info. So lord only knows who the heck that is, or if they will cancel my subscription like I asked per email. (Bang head roll eyes)

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Flickr

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a need for anything fancy, just want to be able to post a pic every now and then like I promised bald1 a few weeks ago. Frustrating and embarrassing. Is it Friday yet?

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
It worked!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Snapfish was a good free site for me for many years, but then suddenly it was no longer possible to link to photos for display here: another example of “free” being what we pay for.

If someone is really strapped financially I can see how every little expense must be carefully considered, but ImageShack basic costs me less for a year than a couple of times eating out, and it offers the features I want.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now how do I resize this tiny pic?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
imgur is still free

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've been using Postimage since Fototime went under. It's worked out OK for me, I'd like more features like FT had but I can live with it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, back them up on your own device. That data center fire in France two years ago took out the host I used for 20 yrs. I lost everything - 20 trips to Europe, five to China and countless thousands of others I didn't take with my iPhones and thus weren't backed up on my iCloud. That stuff is gone forever.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I moved everything to imgur when photobucket went full retard, and it's been fine for both images and avatars.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have tried several free sites for occasional posts to fora, but since I'm a paid subscriber to Flickr I just created an Album specifically for such posting. Flickr does not host avatars, though, and my avatar is being hosted by one of the SF troops.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
For message boards like this one, I use facebook.

I used to have a separate profile just for this, but they've tracked down and eliminated most of my profiles and now I only have 2.

I just upload the picture I want them to host for me, set the visibility of the photo to "just me", then once uploaded grab the address through a right click, and stuff it into the IMG /IMG tags on the forum.

Kind of like "return to sender" on spam mail...let it cost them. It's a small win, but it's a big war, and I'll take my chuckles where I can get them.

I'm sure all my photos will disappear someday, perhaps...but the crazy CIA intelligence gathering that facebook is may as well benefit us somehow.

I don't put anything on the internet that I'm not willing to shoot feds in the dick over when they show up at my door. ALL phone pictures and internet pictures/posts should be treated as such.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Imgur might be fine if you just use it for photo hosting but the community is a liberal ultra left leaning cesspool. I just removed all mine from there and looking for a place to host my avatar. Postimage is fine for just posting photos to the forum but not avatar friendly.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If you want to host avatars, you're shit out of luck with the freebies like postimage.

<cough> There are alternatives.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post