SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to get replacement lenses or glasses?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get replacement lenses or glasses? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I have a pair of prescription Ray Ban RB2027 Predators I got a few years ago. I had my eyes checked today and need new lenses since my prescription has changed, but my doc wanted $440 just for replacement lenses in my frames! Is there anyone online that I can purchase prescription lenses from for my frames that won't break the bank?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3633 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I get my glasses at Costco Optical department. Outstanding quality, moderate cost.

Last time around, a few months ago, I paid $139 / pair for lined tri-focal lenses, plus frame.

If you want to use your own non-Costco frame, there's an eighteen dollar upcharge on the lenses.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
That's insane. IMO, shop around locally. I still don't trust online lens grinders.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a pair of lenses from Sears Optical.

90 bucks for them, and then they said my insurance covered the cost. Even better. Smile

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family has also had very good luck with Costco. I've heard that they have one of the largest privately-owned optical labs.

Another piece of advice - take your prescription and scan it into a PDF file. I always have electronic copies of them with me when I travel.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With lenses, you get what you pay for..... Think binoculars or rifle scopes.

Posts: 380 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
With lenses, you get what you pay for..... Think binoculars or rifle scopes.
Consumer Reports did a study on prescription lenses. They had the same prescriptions filled at independent optical shops, and major chains.

Best quality, fewest errors: Costco

I once had lenses made at one of the larger retail chains: LensCrafters. I put the new glasses on and almost puked, the distortion was so terrible.

Turned out that some imbecile in the chain, whether it was the clerk who entered the prescription in their computer, or the optician who made the lenses, could not tell the difference between a plus sign and a minus sign in the prescription. Maybe the clerk, plus and minus are next to each other on a standard keyboard.

They wanted to re-make the glasses. I just told them to refund my payment and I went to Costco.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post