SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fuel shut off and running carb bowl dry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel shut off and running carb bowl dry Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
StarTron in the fuel tank, run it to get it circulated through the carb, it keeps the fuel fresh and will start right up in the spring. A $10 bottle will do about everything most people have.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure about running the carb bowl dry, inasmuch as it won't be dry. There may not be enough fuel to keep the engine running, but a little bit will be left. This can go stale or dry out and turn to "varnish."

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:...Incorrect, it is not available everywhere, you just think it is.

Yep. And why I mentioned the "canned non-ethanol fuel" the 50:1 is great for storage. (the small amount of oil will reside when the fuel evaporates, and provide protection and prevent rings from sticking)

Drain the tank, then add the "canned fuel" and run the engine, (short drive around the block), then shut it off and store the machine).

Come spring, drain, then refill with fuel and fire it up, warm it up, then shut it down, change oil and filter, plugs and get some wind therapy.

(Battery tender and if possible, elevate bike to keep tires from flat spotting)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Sta-bil.
I bring gas home for all my small engines in 5 gallon cans. When fall approaches I start adding Sta-Bil to those cans when they are refilled. I don't give it another thought because everything gets treated as they get refilled. I don't like letting gaskets and o-rings dry out. Never had an issue.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I bought a new lawnmower earlier this summer and it has a Honda engine. The owner's manual says if you are not going to use it for more than 3 weeks to use the cutoff valve and run the engine dry.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I bought a new lawnmower earlier this summer and it has a Honda engine. The owner's manual says if you are not going to use it for more than 3 weeks to use the cutoff valve and run the engine dry.

Yes, but what does Honda know about gas engines?? LOL!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post