SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The S.S. Atlantus is surrounded by ice...Cape May, NJ
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The S.S. Atlantus is surrounded by ice...Cape May, NJ Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Today, with ice...

RAMIUS, did you take that photograph? Very nice job. It belongs on a calendar.

BTW, do people still find Cape May diamonds at the point? I've tried to explain to my kids what they are. Do you have any photos of them on the beach?

The ones I see on Ebay are all the same color. I thought the ones I picked up as a kid were all different colors.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Those are some great pics!

It said concrete ships did not work out due to the weight. Wouldn't you think the engineers at the time could have figured that out before building them?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Mike - I see your crossed cannons - Gunners Mate?

If not cannons, what are they?

Retired as a GMC.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
If some of you ever go to Cape May, there is a small museum by the light house. If I remember correctly the bunker used to be about 2 miles from the ocean. It is amazing how much erosion occurs there.
I remember going there when the bunker was in the ocean, then two or three years later its surrounded by sand again.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
We have a house the next island over in Wildwood Crest and spend a lot of time here. Gonna head down tomorrow to walk out to it Big Grin

If you look out over Delaware Bay you'll likely see my ship over in Bigstone Anchorage.

We'll be sailing for the bay late this evening. This amount of ice in the river is a bit concerning. I have a feeling it's going to be a long night.

Awesome! Never saw it this icy. I heard back in the 70s, people were actually driving out there.

Have a safe trip. My favorite brewery is over on the Delaware side, Dogfish Head.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

It said concrete ships did not work out due to the weight. Wouldn't you think the engineers at the time could have figured that out before building them?

Guess they learned the hard way!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

RAMIUS, did you take that photograph? Very nice job. It belongs on a calendar.

BTW, do people still find Cape May diamonds at the point? I've tried to explain to my kids what they are. Do you have any photos of them on the beach?

The ones I see on Ebay are all the same color. I thought the ones I picked up as a kid were all different colors.

I can't take credit for that top one, someone posted it on the Cool Cape May Facebook page. I'm gonna print it out and frame it though.

There's still loads of Cape May Diamonds, I'll see if I can get a picture of some for you.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Check out the link for info on their use in WW2.

http://concreteships.org/ships/ww2/

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Weight had nothing to do with it. Fero cement had an incredible design flaw. If they had any kind of impact, the hull would get a major crack that a lot of times sink them. They turned out to be a very poor material to build ships out of.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's still loads of Cape May Diamonds, I'll see if I can get a picture of some for you.

Thank you.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post