SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you had a package stolen? Poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you had a package stolen? Poll Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
“If you can read this, you’re on camera.”

I have cameras setup. Problem is that it detects moving shadows caused by headlights driving by as motion. Bad thing is that I get many clips of that as motion detected. Good thing is that everything is a false alarm.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the sticks, so no... not unless you count the scanner that one dog tried to destroy (the scanner itself was undamaged) and the box of Lefsa another dog ate about 1/4 of.

I guess they don't count, as both dogs involved were mine.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
As many others have stated, I've had several delivered to the wrong address, but nothing stolen after arriving on my porch...

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Last month I had someone steal the contents of a package. They were thoughtful enough to leave the opened box for me. Does the count?

Posts: 625 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I had a package delivered next door once. They came and told me I had a package delivered to their house. I just walked over and got it. It was addressed perfectly. UPS driver just put it on the porch next door, maybe because they get so many packages that the driver just put it there. They are friends with the driver, so you would think the driver would notice the different name on the shipping label. Small town, small neighborhood.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
With 98 votes, we are almost exactly the opposite of the NBC claim and we are being generous by not limiting the timeframe to the last year. While we could attribute the difference to guns, dogs, cameras, and long drives in the woods, I think it’s safe to call the NBC claim bullshit. That such a claim made it all the way to the national news level without someone saying, “Hey, that doesn’t seem possible.” really calls into question anything these parrots claim.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We haven't had anything stolen from the front porch yet. Others around here have. We've had several packages delivered to the wrong house. In one of those cases, the people had attempted to keep the package for themselves, but I had a talk with them and got it back. I was able to find the house using the photo that Amazon had posted of the package in front of someone else's door.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nope. Private, dead end road, house not visible from it, odd cars get the stink eye from multiple neighbors. Must be greener pastures elsewhere.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15618 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Nope. Only had items stolen in transit. Namely a cell phone. Thieves popped open the box, took the iPhone, then sealed it up. When I reported it to FedEx and T-Mobile, both acted like nothing happened, and had a new phone shipped right away.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Our neighborhood has had a rash of porch pirates coming through the last few years. We only had one caught that kept coming back with the same car that was following a UPS truck making deliveries. On our cul=de-sac, we watch out for packages for each other to make sure packages don’t sit outside for more than a few minutes. I haven’t heard of any happening this year.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Small package a few years ago, they left the large package that was also there as it would be too obvious I guess.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
With 98 votes, we are almost exactly the opposite of the NBC claim and we are being generous by not limiting the timeframe to the last year. While we could attribute the difference to guns, dogs, cameras, and long drives in the woods, I think it’s safe to call the NBC claim bullshit. That such a claim made it all the way to the national news level without someone saying, “Hey, that doesn’t seem possible.” really calls into question anything these parrots claim.

If it's not outright lies, it's at least bad statistics generation.

One example would be if they got with USPS, UPS, and FedEx, and got a total of the number of reported stolen packages last year, then they compared that to the US population. Some simple math with minimal effort using those two numbers, and they could claims that based on the number of stolen packages versus the population total, 79% of the population has had a package stolen. But that totally ignores the complexities. Like when one person who has had multiple packages stolen. Or large groups of packages that were stolen in mass container/truck/train break-ins. Or the semi-frequent news reports of delivery drivers found dumping an entire pile of packages rather than delivering them. Etc.

Another way that folks sometimes generate statistics like this is they poll a small sample, and then try to extrapolate to a larger population. So they might poll 100 people, then when 79 of them say they've had packages stolen, they use that to claim that 79% of the entire population has had a package stolen. But that skews the results to reflect just the experience of people from the limited geographic/demographic group you polled, which often varies wildly from the overall experience of the population as a whole. Political polls are often deliberately performed this way, with the actual intent of coming up with skewed numbers that make their chosen candidate appear like they have a commanding lead.

Both are either lazy or straight up disingenuous ways to come up with figures that sound good for a headline or a sound byte when you preface it with "a recent poll/study shows..." to make it sound all official, but which aren't actually statistically valid.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter lives in Brooklyn, NY. She caught a guy trying to steal one off her front porch and confronted him! She sent me a good picture from the security camera. The thief was a big guy who appeared to be in his 30's. After an argument, the thief left and she kept her package. I told her NEVER do that again.

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
Recently we had a lost firearm shipment thru USPS. Item shipped from Topeka, KS to K.C.MO area shipment was misdirected/ diverted to LA California. Low and behold it disappeared.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2182 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
Recently we had a lost firearm shipment thru USPS. Item shipped from Topeka, KS to K.C.MO area shipment was misdirected/ diverted to LA California. Low and behold it disappeared.

More 3rd world cesspool corruption. This is the kind of stuff that the public just expected from the mail in Mexico when I lived there. Back then the USPS was an entirely different organization than it is now. Our decline into 3rd world status is alarming to those with a point of reference for comparison.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a few stolen. Nearest neighbors are crackheads, so...

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I answered yes, but it was a long time ago at a former residence. The contents of the went missing in transit - the wrapping/package made it to my house. It was an ebay purchase and the seller made good on a refund.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had several misdelivered.

The post office and amazon can both pretty much track where the package was delivered to.

The post office one the driver seemed upset and went out of his way to retrieve it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
One misdelivered..package destined for Collierville Tennessee was delivered to someJUAN in Mexico. Thanks to DHL.
Currently have a MISSING IN ROUTE package with parts for my car. USPS

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not on Tabby's watch, and she's six now.

She's backed up by a RING system, in case she closes her eyes for a moment.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post