SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Tacoma 2wd & 4cyl
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Tacoma 2wd & 4cyl Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Looking at a double cab 2wd, 4 cyl.
I don’t tow much and I don’t pull much.

Should I just stick with the V6 and 4wd.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I would but... It depends.
The compromise would be V6 with 2WD.
I Think the V6 will last longer and give you better resale value.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
To each his own, but I doubt that a 4 cyl. Tacoma could get out of its own way.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All reports are the 2.7l Toyota 4 4cyl is near bulletproof if given even the most basic maintenance. Several high mile examples all over the internet. I wouldn't be afraid of one.

That said, it will not be fast or tow as much as the bigger motor. And economy is about the same (+/- 1-1.5mpg). Boils down to what you need and what u intend to do with it. Also, there's no manual trans option on the 4cyl past about 2017. If that matters to you...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
To each his own, but I doubt that a 4 cyl. Tacoma could get out of its own way.
Rod

My 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed manual Tacoma SR5 long bed can do more than just get out of its own way, she actually can haul ass. I have a towing kit on it since I use it from time to time to tow trailers full of mulch, stone, or concrete culvert sections.

If you don't plan to tow and you don't want to worry about a vehicle that is underpowered my recommendation is to buy the 2x4 Tacoma. With 226,000 miles on the clock I have had to put in one clutch, three sets of front brake pads, two cat-back exhaust systems, and a radiator. She still gets between 26 and 30 mpg around town, on the highway between 28 and 32 miles per gallon.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 2wd 4 cyl Tacoma single cab automatic. Great little truck with plenty of power. Just shy of 100k on the odometer and have had no issues with it at all. I wouldn’t hesitate on another when this one goes.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I had a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with the access cab, 2wd and the 2.7 4 cyl motor with manual trans. It ran just fine, never had any issues. The resale value was great when I traded it in on a 2014 Tacoma 4door, 6 cylinder automatic. If you don't tow or haul heavy loads the 4 cyl will do just fine. I have owned 3 Toyota pickups since the late 80s. I am a fanboy. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
by a lot of accounts the recent tacoma 6cyl. has been pretty sucky. For want it sounds like you need I am with you on the 4cyl.

Had a family member looking at a new Tacoma. Bought the new Honda Ridgeline instead for about the same $. Seem very happy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Consider the Prerunner, a 2WD model. My 2010 Prerunner is equipped with the 4cyl and 5 speed manual. The Prerunner 2WD gives you the 4x4 suspension, with more ground clearance, 4.11 geared diff, and 6 lug wheels. The 4.11 gears add a little pep, overcoming some of the "can't get out of its own way" attributed to the 4cyl engine.

I tow just fine with this truck, within the rated limits, which are a bit anemic. All I ever need/use is a single axle utility trailer. The payload is huge, though, at 1530 lbs. You can put a lot of weight in the bed. I brought back (from CA) an FJ-40 2F engine and transfer case. The 2F is a heavy engine, and the only time I lagged was going up the long, long hill coming out of Indio CA.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have an 06 Taco 4 banger AT. Around town and easy trips are no problem. It needs dropping overdrive to pull a grade even empty. It is definitely not a race car. But on the flat commutes it does fine.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6316 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It kind of depends on what you’re used to also and where you live. If you’re in a warm climate and don’t need 4 wheel drive then you can probably live with the 4 banger. If you need 4 wheel drive and you do a lot of highway driving you might want the V6.

I test drove a Subaru that’s only available with a 4 cylinder and it was so painful to drive that I thought something was wrong with it. It totally took all the enjoyment out of it for me. I haven’t owned a car in over 25 years with less than 300hp so an anemic car is just a bummer to me. If you’re used to puttering around in a car with 150hp it might not bother you.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I owned a Tacoma ‘Prerunner’, 4 cyl, 2 wheel drive, year 2000. It was fine, owned it until Toyota did the rust buy back at 160k miles.

Yeah, most will say 4wd, more options on the lot, likely not a whole lot difference in price.

Say one drives on pavement in FL or CA, not a high need for 4wd. Maintenance is a little less with 2wd, for those that do maintenance. Yes, resale is easier, many want 4wd.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I just sold my 2019 Tacoma. It had the V6, it was 2X4 with the 6' bed. I would get 23 mpg pretty easily in my daily/ weekly commute for work. There were times it didn't seem to have enough power or it was geared too tall. It liked to downshift a lot. Kinda wish I had found a manual with the v6.

I now have a new Tundra, much more HP's...

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

My 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed manual Tacoma SR5 long bed can do more than just get out of its own way, she actually can haul ass.

Ditto. I owned mine for 14 years and no issues at all. Granted that I never towed anything, but I hauled plenty of things in the bed including mulch, rock, paver stones, retaining wall blocks, tree branches, etc. In my opinion, driving a 4 cyl with the manual trans. is a better combo than with a automatic transmission. Plenty of pep when you down shift.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sig2340, I stand corrected.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I drove a V6 4x4 today on Friday, only because the 4x2 I want is not on the lot yet. Had loads of power and sat really up in the air. I seem to fall out of it to get out.

Compared to a Nissan Frontier (I did have a 2015, previously) it was civil. the finance numbers are kinda close to where I want to be.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a 2004 4 cyl 5 speed manual 2WD with the Pre Runner package that required a special order, as it had every available option / upgrade available for a 4 cyl. Our most fun truck to drive, with the possible exception of the 1984 5 speed manual V6 Bronco II that we kept for 18 years. We'd probably still be driving the Tacoma but for the RV we bought (7400 lbs) that necessitated upgrading the tow rating. That Tacoma made two runs a week to Houston (275 miles round trip) for two years pulling everything from a full enclosed 8x12 utility trailer, to a bed full of packed tool chests and furniture, to gravel and mulch to landscape a yard, ripped out old kitchen cabinets and the new ones to replace them, all without problems while caring for failing parents and clearing out / fixing up their houses. My wife still misses that truck. The only downside was the engine was slow to idle down after lifting up on the accelerator (I'm sure that was an emission control "feature", not a bug) that required a short pause on the 1 -2 shift. Didn't seem to affect the higher gears. We also never got > 24 mpg, usually 21 -22.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'm on my third Tacoma 6c and prior to that had a 4Runner with the 4.0L 6c. None ever gave me a bit of trouble and were a joy to own and drive. I'm a low mileage guy.

From what I've seen hanging around the Tacoma community for many years is that 4c is near bullet proof if maintained properly. I think Toyota sells a lot of this SR and SR5 configuration to fleet operators who mostly jet around town on service calls and do high mileage, stop and go driving. They thrive on that application. The 4c's strong point is not towing or heavy load hauling, although it will do as well as any competitors in this class.

The now discontinued (in Tacoma) 4L as well as the newer 3rd generation Tacoma 3.5L Atkinson cycle 6c are also very dependable. I've read reports on both going over 300,000 with only normal wearing part replacements.

Bottom line, if your driving habits match up well with the capabilities of the 4c and you don't care about for the cosmetics of the higher trim levels, or more powerful 6c (actually the 6c is no neck popping powerhouse either) then it will serve you well. As already pointed out though, the higher trim levels will bring better resale value.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 2-door, 4 cylinder, 5-speed, 2001 Tacoma SST for a couple of years. Bought it with 105k miles. Sold it with 155k. Most days, I drove it like I stole it. It was a fun little truck. Good gas mileage, no issues.

Ran into a guy with the identical truck. He had over 500k on his at the time and it was his daily driver. I still see him in the same truck around town occasionally. I suspect he’ll be one of those guys who gets a free truck from Toyota for driving over a million miles.

Toyota builds good engines. If you’re not towing a lot, the 4-cylinder is good to go.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A mechanic I used for years said that Toyota 4 cylinder engines with 250k miles often still looked better on the inside than domestic brand engines with 50k. If the truck suits your needs you won’t find a better one.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post