SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashcam Video - How is this street legal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashcam Video - How is this street legal? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
This was taken in Houston southbound on Hwy 59, northeast of downtown, and south of 610. I've been meaning to post this for a couple months. It's the 2nd time I've seen this car with idiotic wheels. How are these wheels street legal?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6e3aLsl1a_8

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Bolt cutters would fix those

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No idea on legality, but must be hell to balance.
I imagi e they approach close to requiring clearance lights, like a DRW truck.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
James Bond Shaft car. Eek

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Who says they're legal?

Last time I checked (a couple months ago) flashing brake lights were still illegal, but I see more and more of them all the time.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you have only seen this a handful of times in Houston. There seems to be an abundance of them in Gonzales, TX.

I can understand them if you have a legit low rider with custom candy paint, hydraulics and custom interior, etc. To slap those dumb wheels on what looks like a basic bitch Buick... seriously its comical.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Street Legal?

Come down to Tucson where you'll see trucks with out doors on the road, dune buggies and off the road vehicles with license plates.

The only vehicle inspection here is for emissions.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Yep, if they were good enough for Bond's Aston Martin DB5...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In the first century AD the were Boudica spikes. Now they're apparently called "swangers" and very popular in Houston TX. See redit thread from five years ago.

Are there many school children in your area missing their legs from about mid-calf down?

Can't say if they are legal in your jurisdiction, but they look like a negligence case trying to happen.

Some ambulance-chasing private injury attorney is going to stop following flashing lights and start following shiny wheels instead--even better, he'll get to play the good guy for once.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Who says they're legal?

Last time I checked (a couple months ago) flashing brake lights were still illegal, but I see more and more of them all the time.

Honda has made the standard on Pilot and some others I believe.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't Charlton Heston have them on his chariot or was that the Romans who were cheating??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In Texas, after a car's 2nd year off the new car lot you have to get annual state inspections. For example, I got flagged one year because my 5.3L V8 was stronger than the parking break that I hadn't used in 2 years (Houston is basically flat).

Texas DPS recently did a sting on a shop for falsifying annual state inspections in North Houston so I imagine it's a wake up call for Houston shops performing inspections.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Probably got the idea from Grease.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I see them on 18 wheelers all the time. I took a close look at some once and they were extremely thin gauge crap metal. You could easily flex them with very little grip pressure. Can’t vouch for those ones though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I just want some caltrops (about a dozen per) in boxes with electrically controlled doors. Able to drop them in the path of tailgaters.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Less than 102” wide doesn’t require wide load flags amd is perfectly (bending) within the rules.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Less than 102” wide doesn’t require wide load flags amd is perfectly (bending) within the rules.
The first time I saw it I was in stop and go traffic on Loop 610, but I didn't hit the lock button on the dashcam so by the time I remembered it had been recorded over. I have my doubts on it being less than 102" wide due to how close they were to both lines on a 12' wide freeway lane.

Even setting this video on 1080 w/ 0.25 playback speed it appears to be taking up nearly all of the 12' wide freeway lane.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Them's dangerous!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Honda has made the standard on Pilot and some others I believe.

Wouldn't surprise me, but last I checked contrary to federal DOT specs.
I say it wouldn't surprise me because headlight standards seem to have been thrown out the window as well.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Didn't Charlton Heston have them on his chariot or was that the Romans who were cheating??

It was Heston's nemesis, Stephen Boyd, who sported the deadly hub spikes on his chariot.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post