SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashcam Video - How is this street legal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashcam Video - How is this street legal? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I completely agree they should be illegal. Sadly I don’t think they are. This is the closest Texas law I could find:

Sec. 547.612. RESTRICTIONS ON USE AND SALE OF TIRES. (a) A solid rubber tire used on a vehicle must have rubber on the traction surface that extends above the edge of the flange of the periphery.
(b) A person may not operate or move a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that has a metal tire in contact with the roadway, unless:
(1) the vehicle is a farm wagon or farm trailer that has a gross weight of less than 5,000 pounds; and
(2) the owner is transporting farm products to market, for processing, or from farm to farm.
(c) A tire used on a moving vehicle may not have on its periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or other protuberance of a material other than rubber that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface, unless the protuberance:
(1) does not injure the highway; or
(2) is a tire chain of reasonable proportion that is used as required for safety because of a condition that might cause the vehicle to skid.
(d) The Texas Transportation Commission and a local authority within its jurisdiction may issue a special permit that authorizes a person to operate a tractor or traction engine that has movable tracks with transverse corrugations on the periphery or a farm tractor or other farm machinery.
(e) A person commits an offense if the person offers for sale or sells a private passenger automobile tire that is regrooved. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $500 or more than $2,000.

Section (c) would apply, but then (c)(1) says it doesn’t apply as long as it doesn’t injure the highway.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well it could be legal if they put clearance lights on the roof and sides?

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
In Texas, after a car's 2nd year off the new car lot you have to get annual state inspections. For example, I got flagged one year because my 5.3L V8 was stronger than the parking break that I hadn't used in 2 years (Houston is basically flat).

Texas DPS recently did a sting on a shop for falsifying annual state inspections in North Houston so I imagine it's a wake up call for Houston shops performing inspections.

I believe a lot (some) of them are a hubcap attachment, so easy to remove for inspection.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What seems to be the issue?
They fit within the lane of traffic yes?

Do they stick out any further than that of dually bed flares compared to the body or tow mirrors on a truck?

Sure they look ridiculous, but does operating with them cause an issue? They are wider than the body of the car but still within the lane.
Same when folks put wide tires and spacers on a truck and the wheels stick way outside the fender wells.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always thought that was technically a no no as well.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Last time I checked (a couple months ago) flashing brake lights were still illegal, but I see more and more of them all the time.

As an aside I hate those flashing brake lights.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
What seems to be the issue? Perhaps you could read entire thread before posting...
They fit within the lane of traffic yes?They appear to be wider than the 102" as that is the legal standard not the width of a 12' highway lane.

Do they stick out any further than that of dually bed flares compared to the body or tow mirrors on a truck? Those are engineered and I guarantee GM, Ford, and Dodge aren't exceeding the 102" limit.

Sure they look ridiculous, but does operating with them cause an issue? They do if they're too wide and he hits other vehicles. He was a pretty aggressive driver both times I've seen him. The first time I saw him in was in stop and go traffic where he was weaving in and out and those things were barely missing other cars.
Responses in red

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Street Legal?

Come down to Tucson where you'll see trucks with out doors on the road, dune buggies and off the road vehicles with license plates.

The only vehicle inspection here is for emissions.

It’s quite nice being able to take the Razor out to work and get in some four wheelin at lunchtime. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post