SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    10-yr Treasury yield hits 5%, first time since 2007
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10-yr Treasury yield hits 5%, first time since 2007 Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
WOW, ten year treasury note yields broke 5 percent today, first time since 2007. Just a couple years ago the yield was about 1.6 percent. This could be an opportunity for investors to lock in a rate for a longer period of time compared to Money Market and CDs which fluctuate with the fed funds rate but the big question is where will rates go from here and for how long. This rate is in the "historical" normal range and the last couple of decades of near near rates were unprecedented and have proven problematic.

As always understand what you invest in. The principle value of a bond will fluctuate as interest rates change, going down if rates go up or increase if rates go down but if held to maturity you get your money back assuming the borrower is still solvent of course.

Treasury bills/notes/bonds can be purchased in brokerage accounts or directly from the Treasury.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov...marketable-security/

https://investor.vanguard.com/...types/what-is-a-bond -- bond investing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-yr Treasury yield hits 5%, stocks at seven-month lows

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/mone...nth-lows/ar-AA1iGSo0

By Amanda Cooper and Wayne Cole

LONDON/SYDNEY (Reuters) - The benchmark 10-year Treasury yield rose above 5% and to its highest since 2007 on Monday, as a roaring U.S. economy led investors to expect interest rates to stay high for an extended period.

The combination of those higher yields and risk of a wider conflict in the Middle East soured sentiment at the start of a week full of mega-cap earnings and key data, and pushed global shares down to seven-month lows.

he 10-year Treasury yield reached 5.012%, and was last up 8.6 basis points on the day, the latest sign of the scale of the global bond sell off, driven also by rising government debt increasing supply of bonds around the world. [US/]

"5% from an economic perspective is just another number. But as far as investors are concerned it resonates," Daiwa Capital chief economist Chris Scicluna said.

"I don’t think it's a tipping point, but it's a reminder of the record tightening we've had and it's a reminder, as far as the Fed is concerned, that they can't be entirely sure quite how much of that tightening so far has already been transmitted to the real economy and how much more is to come," he said.

The recent surge in bond yields has tightened monetary conditions without the central banks having to do anything, allowing the Federal Reserve to signal it will likely stay on hold at its policy meeting next week.
Indeed, futures imply around a 70% chance the Fed is done with tightening for this cycle and are flirting with the chance of rate cuts from May next year.

...... more at link above.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Yup - AKA no one wants our debt..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2676 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was just checking CD rates at Schwab.

5.5% for a 18-month

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Ten years is too long for me to lock up money at only 5%. The value of the bond could drop very substantially if interest rates go even higher, so one would have to buy into such a bond with the expectation of not needing the money for 10 years.

We do have a significant amount of our portfolio in a bond ladder of 3, 6, and 12 month federal t-bills at about 5%. The stock market is so treacherous right now that I am very happy to lock in the 5% while keeping fairly quick access to the money.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Agree - I've been buying 3 and 6 month treasuries in the 5.00+ range. Our bank CD rates are just a bit over 5.00. also.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

5.5% for a 18-month

Yup - I have been laddering 3 month Treasuries..

9/11/01 Never Forget

Posts: 2676 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AS a matter of fact, I purchased a 2 yr. CD from Schwab this very morning......I had a much lower CD come due today.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
as a roaring U.S. economy

Remarks like this cause me to wonder if they have any idea what they are talking about.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
Ten years is too long for me to lock up money at only 5%. The value of the bond could drop very substantially if interest rates go even higher, so one would have to buy into such a bond with the expectation of not needing the money for 10 years.

We do have a significant amount of our portfolio in a bond ladder of 3, 6, and 12 month federal t-bills at about 5%. The stock market is so treacherous right now that I am very happy to lock in the 5% while keeping fairly quick access to the money.

Absolutely and I stated that. However some may still want to take the opportunity to lock in the rate if it works well for their goals, especially those in retirement who have seen a couple decades of dismally low rates for Money Market, CDs, and higher quality bonds.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lkdr1989:

5.5% for a 18-month

-----------------------------------------------------
Interesting that CD rates are barely above Money Market these days unless they have a callable provision. My Vanguard Money market us at about 5.4 right now.

posted Hide Post
Most of 2020 was sub 1% for the 10 year

The money market fund at Schwab is 5.25 and I’ve been juicing the yield on cash by getting 30 day Cd’s around 5.4-5.5

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

Debt, Currency Debasement, & War - The Timeless Pillars Of Failure

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2023

Authored by Matthew Piepenburg via GoldSwitzerland.com

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...less-pillars-failure

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

Debt, Currency Debasement, & War - The Timeless Pillars Of Failure

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2023

Authored by Matthew Piepenburg via GoldSwitzerland.com

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...less-pillars-failure

Thank you for sharing..

9/11/01 Never Forget

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The 7-day AND 30-day yield(s) of the Fidelity Govenrment Money Market Fund (SPAXX) is 4.99%...No need to tie your money up for ANY specific term to get such returns!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
The 7-day AND 30-day yield(s) of the Fidelity Govenrment Money Market Fund (SPAXX) is 4.99%...No need to tie your money up for ANY specific term to get such returns!

Unless one might want that rate locked in for 10 years. No one knows what money market funds will be three month, a year, five years, etc from now. Yield curve has been inverted for quite a while now and it will be interesting to see how things shake out down the road.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That's true, but my point is that, based on the current market situation, why would anyone want 'lock in' ANY RATE at all. The rates are VERY likely to continue rising, and that return is essentially the same as the 10-yr Treasury yield, AND it is similarly, VERY likely to mirror that trend. If there were ANY changes to the downside, you're not locked into anything...If you want/need out, you get out now, and have those funds available to do something else with the next day.

Nobody I know, especially me, is thinking 'it will be interesting to see how things shake out down the road' when it comes to investing hard earned money, especially money intended for retirement. Based on fed policy and the out of control .gov spending that has resulted in this potentially unprecedented era of high interest rates, I don't know why ANYONE would want to invest in a 10-yr Treasury!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the Carter years. I had CD’s back then that paid almost 17%.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Dont forget the greatest bond market buy of all time was in 1981 when you could have locked in 15% for 30 years on treasury bonds. But almost nobody did since short term rates were 16-18%.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post