SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Infrastructure” bill includes tax by miles driven
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Infrastructure” bill includes tax by miles driven Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
https://news.yahoo.com/infrast...leage-181500769.html

And this after repeated denials that such a thing was being considered. I’m shocked. Shocked I tell you. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Wow...as if we aren't already taxed on purchasing the car, taxed yearly on owning it, taxed yearly for operating it, and taxed for the gas/electricity used to drive it on top of everything else to maintain it. Another wonderful way to screw the American people.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Another wonderful way to screw the American people.

It would seem that screwing is the American pastime. This is just an extension of it. We put up with anything, especially from such a beloved president. Y'all voted for the bastard, now reap what ye've sewn.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
But wait, Biden said if I make less than $400,000 per year, I wouldn't see a raise in my taxes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I actually think we do need one way to have electric vehicles pay their share. Right now the tax burden rests solely on the ICE vehicles. How do we maintain the roads when more and more vehicles are switching to electric?

Here’s my worry over this whole idea. It’s not the tax, but the control.
quote:
to reflect estimated impacts on infrastructure, safety, congestion, the environment, or other related social impacts."
If it’s about social engineering, then I do have a big problem with it, especially since we’ve seen what a short jump it is from social engineering to social justice.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Agree, a tax per mile should be levied on all electric vehicles, or hydrogen anything that travels on city, county, state or federal roads should pay taxes since they use the facilities but contribute zero highway tax revenue because they buy no fuel..

Now a per mile on gas vehicles, no...

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
But they'd never be able to sell them if they came with the "punishment" of more taxes vs. gas/diesel. Yet, they want to sell them to save the planet. Hmmm.... Seems they're in a bit of a pickle, so the solution is to screw everybody. Commie logic of full display.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabellocabeza
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I see this as an example of how the government plans to increase our taxes in ever increasingly sneaky ways. With so much debt, the government needs money so I think there will be more of these sneaky taxes that will erode my income in the future.

Posts: 40 | Registered: July 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry. This per mile tax will end up being only on CMVs, since we’re already paying it that way to the states (IFTA). You will see an increase in shipping costs, or your Prime membership dues will go up, but it will be hard for you to attribute it back to a tax increase. Everybody will pay, and Biden will maintain that he never raised taxes on <400k income earners.

That’s the way the government prefers it. Bury the taxes in the supply chain so you don’t notice it. Ever heard of the 2290 tax? Unlikely.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Not only is this another way to tax us, it is a way to eventually control movement to some extent. i.e. social impacts. So the wife and I want to drive out west for a few weeks. Now well have to consider the mileage added on vacation and what it will cost. (the marginal impact will be negligible but you see the point)
ED, I see you had 5000 miles more than normal this year, you need to cut down on your travel some.
Or may be even start imposing penalties if you drive over a "certain" government approved average number of miles per year.
The government beast is insatiable and will be fed.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
But wait, Biden said if I make less than $400,000 per year, I wouldn't see a raise in my taxes.

"Once upon a time, a politician made a campaign promise and kept it." Yes, it's a fairy tale.

A friend of mine said once that if instead of collecting the taxes and surcharges and fees every time we make a purchase, they just recorded them and sent us a bill for all of it at the end of the year, a second Revolution would be quickly forthcoming. My addendum to that was that it would require Yet Another Government Agency to track and administer it all, which would require Yet Another New Tax to fund.

On another note, at least tangentially related to the OP, I heard this morning that our beloved governor, Queen Kate, has signed a bill requiring all major electric power providers in the state to be carbon-free by 2040. The report didn't include any details, but I assume that to include solar, wind-turbine and probably hydro. The coal and gas fired plants will have to go away. And with solar and wind being oh so cost-effective, I'm sure we can expect another surcharge on our electric bills. The "Green Power" surcharge. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling the squeeze...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
On another note, at least tangentially related to the OP, I heard this morning that our beloved governor, Queen Kate, has signed a bill requiring all major electric power providers in the state to be carbon-free by 2040. The report didn't include any details, but I assume that to include solar, wind-turbine and probably hydro. The coal and gas fired plants will have to go away. And with solar and wind being oh so cost-effective, I'm sure we can expect another surcharge on our electric bills. The "Green Power" surcharge. Roll Eyes

In related news, Ontario to Hermiston forms an independent state about 2040, or Idaho gets a lot bigger.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
And just in case you missed this. Roll Eyes

Infrastructure bill would require alcohol monitors for all new cars

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knows what other bullshit tax Politicians have hidden in that Infrastructure Bill.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coinbase CEO Warns Of "Sweeping Surveillance Of Crypto Holders" In Infrastructure Bill

https://www.zerohedge.com/cryp...-infrastructure-bill

We warned over the weekend that 'things just got ugly for crypto in Washington, D.C.' as the government aimed to partially cover the cost of its massive infrastructure bill by taxing crypto companies... and the entire industry will feel it.

"This is not a drill," writes Jake Chervinsky, an influential crypto lawyer and a sober voices in a hype-prone industry. In a must-read Twitter thread, Chervinsky explains how the $550 billion bill - which is primarily about roads and bridges - could shiv American crypto companies.

The pain comes in the part of the bill that explains how the U.S. will help pay for those roads and bridge. Namely, the bill states that Uncle Sam plans to cover $28 billion of the costs by squeezing crypto brokers.

The trouble is that the bill defines "broker" - a term normally used to describe the likes of Coinbase and Robinhood - as basically any business that touches crypto.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, I pay a “special” registration fee on my Tesla to off set the gas tax. Not sure why the Feds are involved

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
GWbiker - good question. Maybe someone on the forum is really bored, or having trouble sleeping, would be willing to read the bill and report back. (Link in the middle of the page you'll see various tabs. click on the Text tab.)

Generally the only people that read large bills are staffers and lobbyist. In my experience, the politicians read the summaries.

So I'm clear - my response is poor attempt at humor - who really has time to read this stuff.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guarantee that is one of the reasons for the big electric car push. They will be able "tax" you more if you are charging at the wrong time or if you are using too much.

My guess is that you will have a monthly tax bill penalty and if you don't pay your car no longer works. It would be real simple to shut down the use of an electric car. Not possible with ICE.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...track-vehicle-miles/

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
And just in case you missed this. Roll Eyes

Infrastructure bill would require alcohol monitors for all new cars
There's stupid, and then there's this. Does anyone in Washington have a functioning brain stem? Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post