SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Infrastructure” bill includes tax by miles driven
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Infrastructure” bill includes tax by miles driven Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The Temptations from 1970. “politicians say more taxes will solve everything.”

[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yet another power grab:
Dick Durbin has put in new regulation of dietary supplements, requiring a doctor's prescription for common ones e.g. apparently high-dose vitamin D.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
As this break cover (as it is here), this will likely either be removed, or torpedo the whole bill.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What a valuable tool to motivate public transportation

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
So, I pay a “special” registration fee on my Tesla to off set the gas tax. Not sure why the Feds are involved

That’s a state registration fee. There is also a state gas tax (most states) along with a federal gas tax (all states). The per mile tax is a proposed federal tax.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Miles travelled tax punishes rural drivers.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This concept is compliments of that sword swallowing Pete Buttigieg..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Miles travelled tax punishes rural drivers.

And the employed who must drive daily to work.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

That’s a state registration fee. There is also a state gas tax (most states) along with a federal gas tax (all states). The per mile tax is a proposed federal tax.

Which will apply to everyone almost certainly regardless of what he or she drives.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly from an article only about 3.5% of the bills funds are for actual plain language infrastructure. The remainder of the bill is thinly disguised social engineering programs.

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
If I recall correctly from an article only about 3.5% of the bills funds are for actual plain language infrastructure. The remainder of the bill is thinly disguised social engineering programs.

Thinly disguised hell, it’s plain language. Mad

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Like many here, I am one of those who would be royally screwed if they implement this type of crap. My employer provides mileage reimbursement for the use of my personal vehicle at the IRS rate (which dropped this past year ironically as fuel prices where climbing). I already get taxed on the mileage that would be included in my daily trip to the office. I get taxed on the fuel I put in my truck and quite honestly I'm shocked I'm not taxed to breath the air around me anymore.

They continue to take and take until there is nothing left to give. At that point in time your expected to just give in and ask for the handout because you have become broken. At what point will the majority finally have enough and put a stop to the ever increasing state.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's stupid, and then there's this. Does anyone in Washington have a functioning brain stem?

^^^^^^^^^
Wonderful. Great side business in disabling these devices. Road Rage frankly is more of a problem. How about a device that stops the car when the driver makes obscene gestures and becomes angry.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Im guessing the assumption is that the fed gas tax will disappear when the new per mile tax is implemented...or will that $$ just get deflected to some woke climate change BS reparations fund....

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Which will apply to everyone almost certainly regardless of what he or she drives.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
E- Cars should have a tax per mile, no doubt, just because someone uss electricity as fuel shouldn't eliminate them from the responsibility to help maintain the roads.

With the mandates for all E cars in Cali and with manufacturing companies going to E Cars, it's inevitable that this was going to happen.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

E- Cars should have a tax per mile
Agreed, but petroleum fueled vehicles should not have to pay double tax. Either restrict the mileage tax to electric vehicles, or apply it to all vehicles and eliminate the tax on petroleum fuel.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Im guessing the assumption is that the fed gas tax will disappear when the new per mile tax is implemented...or will that $$ just get deflected to some woke climate change BS reparations fund....

Not a chance that the gas tax will go away. It will remain and you'll pay a per mile and a gas tax as a disincentive to using an ICE vehicle.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Or figure a way to game the system...

How will they enforce compliance? Annual state inspection reports mileage on which you then get billed? OK, no state inspection for me!!!

No state registration w/o inspection? In NC you cant be pulled over for only an expired registration sticker.

Federal inspection?...definitely unconstitutional (yeah since when would they let that stop them).

Some sort of device reporting to the cloud? Oops it broke!!!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

Not a chance that the gas tax will go away. It will remain and you'll pay a per mile and a gas tax as a disincentive to using an ICE vehicle.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

E- Cars should have a tax per mile
Agreed, but petroleum fueled vehicles should not have to pay double tax. Either restrict the mileage tax to electric vehicles, or apply it to all vehicles and eliminate the tax on petroleum fuel.
Eliminate a tax! Surely you jest. Nothing that generates revenue ever goes away in Washington once put in place.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most newer cars have a GPS unit.
I would guess that the feds could just tap into that information. The data may already be being recorded somewhere.

PC

Posts: 1339 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post