SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    City with the worst drivers?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

City with the worst drivers? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
eliminating the malignantly congested "Days of Our RushHourWeek" big cities, for a smaller population I'd nominate the entire milieu of Canyon County, Idaho for 'bottom 3' award;

There is a perfect blend of clueless from other places/cultures/otherwise incompetent along with plenty of substance use/doddering oldsters/farm country innocence slammed into award winning mindless unexplainable jams supplemented by often incoherent road signs/construction tactics.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Miami hands down. There are drivers from every shithole third world country driving there with all their bad habits. They drive what ever speed they choose in what ever lane they choose. Where they come from the left lane may be the slow lane and they drive the same here. Oh, I missed my exit, let me just make a right turn across 4 lanes of traffic. Turn signals and stop signs are just suggestions. Hey, let's rent a car and drive to Disney World! In Miami you must drive as defensive as you can!
I spent 2 weeks working in Miami 6-7 years ago. I saw everything you mention first hand, also including a large number of apparently serviceable but abandoned cars in the road.

My tactic was to drive as fast as I could to stay ahead of everyone possible.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Boston.

For smaller cities, Virginia Beach and DC both get dishonorable mentions since I didn't see them listed.

Can we save time and just nominate the entire state of Florida for the worst?

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Seoul, Korea. Given, we military drove “DEROS cars,” cliunkers that stood out from the new, highly shined cars most Koreans drove. A “DEROS” seemed to attract police and get pushed around by Korean drivers.
We learned to carry cameras in the car. Have an accident, get out and start taking photos. Even if the camera didn’t work.That settled most issues.
Had a friend waiting at a red light when a Korea rear ended her. She got a ticket for “blocking traffic!”
School kids, would hold up an arm and run across four or six lanes of traffic. They weren’t supposed to but did so anyways.
Convoys had the instruction, “Drive aggressive” as part of their briefing. The rule on the road was if your bumper as ahead of another car, you had the right to move into his lane.
It was always exciting.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Seattle and surrounding, west of the Cascades
I'll second the nomination. In Tacoma I-5 Highway project is at the 18 year mark with two to go. What a joke. Eek

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Caracas. Scared the hell out of me.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
For me it used to be Boston.

Honorable mention to Tucson, its mix of college students late for class, senior citizens late for heaven mixed in with Sonora, MX license plates always made for challenging driving.

But now for me, it has to be Anchorage. Red lights are a suggestion, maybe even seen as a challenge by some. Then there's the pedestrians that jaywalk across multi-lane streets with no warnings or crosswalks as well as panhandlers. Panhandling seems to take on extra urgency and aggressiveness when the temps drop below 30. And now with the first snow, ice adds even more fun to intersections than color blind drivers.

Sooo how do you like living in Alaska? ;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Columbia, SC. or, ____, SC (fill in the blank). Absolutely terrible idiot drivers all around.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Cookeville TN. population 60k...people that veer right to make a left turn 59k. And of course turn signals optional. Older ones went to the Mr. Magoo driving school, then taught their young.

I lived in metro Detroit 15 years, I give those people a A+ (once you learn the nuisances) 5 extra cars when the turn light turns red.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Seattle and surrounding, west of the Cascades
I'll second the nomination. In Tacoma I-5 Highway project is at the 18 year mark with two to go. What a joke. Eek

Add a quarter of an inch of snow to the mix and you have total chaos. The same goes for Portland Or.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Drivers in and around Washington, DC are pretty bad. And the traffic is horrendous.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10499 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Tehran, Iran! Where "ensh'Allah" is the motto.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
San Juan PR, and pretty much anywhere else on that island.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Granddaughter is attending college at Noman Oklahoma and says drivers there don't drive they just aim their cars.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Naples, Italy is pretty bad especially the arterials.

In town, not as bad as Florence.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several stand out in my mind.

Cairo, Bangkok, Rome, Manila, Seoul

Paris: 115mph in an early morning ride to the airport with bags on the roof rack.
Seoul: My cab driver in an accident and subsequent fight.
Manila: Scariest $3.00 cab ride I ever had.
Cairo: Everyone crazy in the downtown area.
Bangkok: Hundreds of buzzing motorbikes racing from one light to the other with no concept of anyone else being on the road. There is a good reason for the pedestrian overpasses in that city.
Rome: Crowded with no concept of lane usage; five rows of cars on a three lane road. Nearly killed by a police car going at a high rate the wrong way on a one-way street.

Previous posters about NYC, North Jersey, San Juan and Boston are correct. I might throw in Philly and Chicago.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
My wife told me India was a mess. Had to miss that adventure to keep working and pay the bills....

The entire DC metro area and especially northern Virginia have roads that are mostly occupied by complete assholes and/or spent pieces of asswipe. Looking for shitty drivers? We got em here in big numbers. And yes, the traffic is bad, unless it's the middle of the night. That is, of course, until you encounter night roadwork, then it's still BS. Any commute for me to Alexandria is a blessing if I don't run into accidents caused by complete stupidity. Accident avoidance should be required study for people that live in this area.

EW

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to think it was Boston (grew up on the Mass border in CT).

Then I moved to Maryland...and I changed my mind. The drivers here are awful.

If it rains, and it has rained a LOT this year, they drive like they've never seen rain before.

If it snows, they drive like they've never seen snow before.

If it's beautiful, who needs to pay attention to driving?

Using a handheld cellphone in any way, shape or form is a primary offense in MD. Sit at the end of my driveway (on a 4-lane state road that is 6 lanes at my house - turning and merging) and count the number of drivers that are NOT on their handheld cellphone - talking, texting, reading Facebook, whatever. It's something like 1 in 10 that aren't too busy on their phone to look at the road. Almost every one of those cars has built-in handsfree but no one uses it.

Everyone here is way too important to stop at a red light. They need to get wherever they're going 92 minutes sooner than they would if they had stopped for the light. No one else is as important as they are, so they are compelled to run the red light, no matter when it turned red.

It's terrifying.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riyadh, not good.

Cairo, not good.

Nairobi, health hazard.

Lagos, life hazard

Bagdhad, undesirable

Mosul, life altering

New York, fair to nightmarish

Apache Junction between November and April, deadly

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Sooo how do you like living in Alaska? ;-)

Oh I can add a new category today; local rednecks in lifted diesel pickups doing donuts in occupied parking lots and gas stations. Had one almost hit my truck while gassing up this afternoon. Fingers were extended, words exchanged, snow flung...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post