SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inkjet printer ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkjet printer ? Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
I have a new HP inkjet printer that is wireless.
Suppose to be able to be used by computers and mobile devices. To be able to do that it must be turned on whenever you want to print.
My question(s) is:Is there any problem leaving the printer turned on?
Some days I might print several different times but then there might be several days I don't print at all.
Is there a time limit before adverse effects start?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
All of our office printers (laser) from small b/w brother to commercial Canon, all stay on 100% of the time

Some have a sleep function, but we usually override it, as deep sleep can be had to wake, oddly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15293 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
My Epson is on, but sleeping.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My HP is always on. It stays in sleep mode until I send it a print job.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
HP goes into a "sleep mode" overnight or when it's not used but will wake up with the first scan or print command. Shouldn't hurt it one bit.

My Ricoh is at least 10 plus years old stays on constantly, sleeps when it's inactive and wakes up on command to print, it has 228184 copies on it.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It won’t hurt it and it may help keep the nozzles clean. My Epson will automatically wake itself up and clean the nozzles once in awhile.

Posts: 10914 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
My Epson is on, but sleeping.
Same with ours. Same with the last printer, a Brother. Same with the HP printer before that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
how many printers have you gone through and why did they fail???

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post