SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leftist article attempting to put a spin on rampant shop-lifting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leftist article attempting to put a spin on rampant shop-lifting Login/Join 
posted
We all know the main-stream news is doing its best to minimize and put a spin on the widespread shoplifting epidemic and the impact on the retail marketplace but, this article takes it to a new level.

The zombie CVS, a late-capitalism horror story
quote:
How one Washington, D.C., drugstore got spun by the culture wars into a symbol for America’s shoplifting panic

There is almost nothing left to steal at the CVS in Columbia Heights, and that gives you an idea of which items have actual value.

Blank CDs, for example — the thieves don’t even bother with them. The greeting card section has been left alone. The good magazines like Vogue and GQ and Sports Illustrated are gone, but there are still a few copies of Traditional Home, some special issues of Life devoted to Willie Nelson, and a Woman’s World that declares: “Bye bye, jiggly fat!” No soft drinks, but three gallon-sized jugs of Arizona green tea are still on the shelves on one recent visit.

Everything else that remains in the store in Northwest D.C., which is not much, is under plexiglass: Dawn dish soap, L’Oreal shampoo, MiraLax, a handful of Clairol root touch-up hair dye kits, flu season combo packs of DayQuil and NyQuil. The diapers are behind the counter. The Cetaphil and Neutrogena face washes are under lock and key.
Other shelves, stretching entire aisles, are totally empty.

It has been like this since at least October, when the Legend of the Empty CVS of Washington began to spread beyond the District’s borders. It became a horror story of Late Capitalism. Tales were told on social media, and in the comments sections of local news stories, and they were full of spooky scenes (harsh fluorescent lights shining on bare shelves!) and jump scares (hordes of teenagers reportedly ransacking the stores!).

But the thing about scary stories is that they metastasize with each retelling. So by the time it got to the New York Post, and then the conservative British tabloids, and then Twitter accounts with names including “No. 1 Deplorable,” the empty CVS had somehow become a stand-in for all that is wrong with American cities — and liberals (and liberal democracy?) — in 2024.
In the meantime, the zombie CVS kept filling prescriptions, dead but somehow still shuffling along — until Thursday, when corporate shut it down, at last.

On NextDoor, the social media site where neighbors go to ask whether fireworks are gunshots, the state of the CVS had become a consistent topic. One that usually devolved into people calling each other “thugs” or “Karens.”
“This unchecked lawlessness at any age needs to be stopped or the criminals will be governing us,” wrote one neighbor.
“Stop with the dog whistle nonsense,” wrote another.

“Its beginning to feel like the Columbia Frights of 20 years ago,” wrote yet another.

America is a sticky-fingered nation built on stolen land, and its current moral panic is about shoplifting. It’s not just a worry in Columbia Heights. All over the country, from sea to shining CVS, there are concerns about petty theft, which some retailers claim is worse than ever before. Videos of brazen thefts have gone viral. It has become a political talking point, and a political liability.

But the data is murky. Theft has gotten worse in some cities but better in others; it’s either underreported or overexaggerated, depending on whether you’re asking a corporation or a bureaucracy. Anecdotes and vibes have filled in the gaps. It doesn’t help that 2024 in America feels a bit like visiting a dying mall. Will some new stores open and bring everyone back, or will it be razed to create a parking lot?

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Two out of my last three shopping trips to a local Bomgaars, which is a feed and ranch type store, I have seen what appeared to be an illegal try to roll a full shopping cart out the door loaded with boots and clothing. It is sad the employees have to deal with this crap. Twice they were unable to accomplish the theft as employees and shoppers gave chase, and they abandoned the cart and ran off. We all pay for this in higher prices. Things need to change folks.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Next they will close the store, let those complain about that.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The leftist media has to downplay the issue, because the alternative is to point the blame at the Democrats who run these cities and the protected classes who live in them. The left loves to use terms like "gaslighting," and this is a perfect example of it. You may think what you're seeing is an obvious increase in crime, but you are wrong. It's not really happening.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
The leftist media has to downplay the issue, because the alternative is to point the blame at the Democrats who run these cities and the protected classes who live in them. The left loves to use terms like "gaslighting," and this is a perfect example of it. You may think what you're seeing is an obvious increase in crime, but you are wrong. It's not really happening.

Even worse than the crooked media putting that bullshit out there is that people actually believe it. People who vote are believing it. Those are the same people who have more kids than responsible & logical adults; and they're indoctrinating their kids into the same false beliefs.

Posts: 13113 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is almost nothing left to steal at the CVS in Columbia Heights
Just close the damn store.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
There is almost nothing left to steal at the CVS in Columbia Heights
Just close the damn store.
Except that hurts the "under served" minority community who, among all their other burdens, must now travel to purchase necessities (or steal them). Don't spend too much emotional currency worrying about this, these folks are smart enough to figure out how to obtain a vehicle for the purpose.

Obviously, the thieves are not stealing items for their personal use. They must be selling them somehow, probably to others in their community looking for a "discount." Maybe going after these underground markets might be a more effective deterrent than trying to stop the thefts in progress? Not to mention, calling out those who purchase from an obviously bogus seller.

Now there's a great opportunity for an enterprising investigative reporter...

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I live outside DC.

My favorite band is playing a venue in DC in May and I will not be going.

Why?

Too fucking dangerous and I cannot carry a firearm in DC.

The only reason I will risk going into DC today is to hear Professor Peterson in June, and that only because I can easily park across the river in Virginia and Uber in and out for less than the cost of off-street parking.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If most of these stores closed in the high theft areas, people will have to travel to buy necessities. Some adults will eventually realize that stealing causes long term problems, and it is not worth it. Talking will not solve the problem, closed stores and feeling the pain will.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the meantime, the zombie CVS kept filling prescriptions, dead but somehow still shuffling along — until Thursday, when corporate shut it down, at last.

Looks like they did shut it down.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Late Capitalism
There is a term I could go the rest of my life without reading again.

Maura Judkis is just another dirty asssed communist turned out by journalism schools in this case George Washington University.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
America is a sticky-fingered nation built on stolen land, and its current moral panic is about shoplifting. It’s not just a worry in Columbia Heights. All over the country, from sea to shining CVS, there are concerns about petty theft, which some retailers claim is worse than ever before. Videos of brazen thefts have gone viral. It has become a political talking point, and a political liability.

But the data is murky. Theft has gotten worse in some cities but better in others; it’s either underreported or overexaggerated, depending on whether you’re asking a corporation or a bureaucracy. Anecdotes and vibes have filled in the gaps. It doesn’t help that 2024 in America feels a bit like visiting a dying mall. Will some new stores open and bring everyone back, or will it be razed to create a parking lot?

This is the biggest load of crap I've read in a LONG time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It became a horror story of Late Capitalism.

I noticed that too...

What is Late Capitalism?
It's not defined in the article but it seems to be a bit of wishful thinking by the commies destroying this country: "It's getting Late for Capitalism! We've almost killed it!"

The problem for the commies is that it can't really be killed. The yearning for freedom burns bright in people's hearts. It doesn't always exist in practice, and governments continuously attempt to restrict freedom and impose tyranny, but the yearning for freedom is not extinguished.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I think the moron got his Marxist terminology wrong. He meant "Late Stage Capitalism" which is supposedly the stage of capitalism immediately preceding Communist Utopia which will immediately precede the starvation and death of millions.

Perhaps Communism wouldn't be so bad if it could be assured only leftists would starve.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need to get a hold of these mass shooters and offer a bounty on these shoplifter,

If the shooter gets caught ,we pay his bail , pay the bounty and buy him a plane ticket

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post