SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Book Store Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book Store Question Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
So, I have seen people in used book stores and thrift shops scanning the barcodes of nearly every book there, buying some, putting others back on the shelf. Today, I saw one such guy. He had a device that looked like a small cell phone, but thicker and squatter. He had 20+ books in his cart.

What, precisely, is the purpose of this?

I assume it has to do with re-selling them on eBay or some such place. I wondered if he had a list of desirable books that were worth more than the listed price and was looking to re-sell them.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he is working for the competition. Every large retailer checks the prices of the competition.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I think this is what they're doing.

https://fbafaq.com/best-book-s...nline%20marketplaces.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

Cool, thanks for the info. I knew somebody here would know.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

My first thought was this.

If you are reselling books, scanning the bar code is much faster than title, date, version, etc to determine current selling price.

I knew of a few people who did this in the college days. They'd buy up everyone's text books at the end of the semester for higher than what the college book store would pay and then, turn around and resell them to the next class for less than what the store would sell the used book(s) for.

Eventually the college prohibited advertising of buying/selling of books on the local billboards. When the school tried to ban private buying and sales of text books on campus - it was game on for all the student. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post