SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bird Food Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Food Question Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My wife likes to watch the crows that stop to visit, in our back yard.

What's a good food that she can put out for the crows? She read someplace that dry cat food is good, then she read someplace else that dry cat food is bad.

Class? Anyone? SC? Marzy?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oiled black sunflower seed.

Q

Posts: 26433 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Sunflower Seeds. But Crows are omnivores and will eat anything that wont eat them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we lived in the country and my dad kept an extensive garden.. We where constantly chasing them out of the corn. Vis a vis the Scare Crow. So I would think corn would be a good food. Not on the cob, but either the whole or cracked versions. The big box home stores sell it or better yet a feed store.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Throw out a piece of Pizza - They will kill each other for it.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Crows are omnivores, scavengers, and opportunists. I’ve seen one pounding the hell out a live woodpecker that was stunned after hitting my window- it was still alive, mind you, while the crow stood on it and tried to peck it’s brains out. That being said, crows are still one of my fav birds. Soooo smart. We tamed them as kids and they were great companions.
Cat food is high in protein, but this wouldn’t be their primary source of food, so I don’t think you have much to worry about. Try a variety of different treats, they’ll show you their favorite.
More interesting: leave a “gift”… a shiny silver something, bottle cap, coin.. with some food, or incorporate some food into something, and watch. Chances are, they’ll “pay” you back with another gift. Also, they’re probably watching for your wife if she has consistent timing with her offerings, and they’ll understand when to keep an eye out. Our crows ate pretty much everything, even had a sip or 2 of beer. We would make a big point of looking around and then “hiding” some toy or treat for them. The speed with which they hopped over and uncovered our treasures after we walked away was comical. Have fun!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There are a wide range of things crows will eat.

You might want to narrow the choice of what you put out, based on what you have in your area that you don't want hanging around where you plan to feed the crows.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Crows predate on small bunnies here.
We are on crop #8 or 9 easily by now.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if cost is no object, there most favored snack is cheetos.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Commercial wild bird seed is formulated to attract a wide variety of birds, mostly songbirds, but crows find it just fine as do chipmunks, squirrels. and small vermin. This concentration of meal-sized proteins attracts predators such as foxes, owls, etc. Crows are pretty smart, as are most birds, but crows especially. They will pass up a free meal if the feeder is too close to where predators congregate. They include people in that category, so if you specifically want to attract crows, being discreet is vital. E.g. put the feeder where you can see it, but they can't see you. Otherwise, the little birds will get it all.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They seem to like dry dog food

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the crows will be appreciative of just about anything you want to put out for them.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double cheese burger and fries

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54674 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have several crows (or possibly ravens, I don't know how to tell the difference for sure) that hang out around here.

I also have a lot of peanut shells that mysteriously appear.

Perhaps I'm adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but I get the feeling somebody is leaving peanuts in the shell out for them. I'd assume unsalted, and possibly raw.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15255 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They seem to like the corn I feed coons with.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 84 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I have several crows (or possibly ravens, I don't know how to tell the difference for sure) that hang out around here.

I also have a lot of peanut shells that mysteriously appear.

Perhaps I'm adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but I get the feeling somebody is leaving peanuts in the shell out for them. I'd assume unsalted, and possibly raw.

Ravens are even cooler. Coarser caw, bigger bird, bigger more “Roman nose” style beak, smarter.
Salt is always a bad idea for these guys.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I had to learn the difference when we moved to AZ 20 years ago. Back in MD, we had crows. Here in AZ (at least in our area), there are only ravens. Ravens are larger, but that is hard to judge if you do not have a crow to compare it to.

Crows caw, ravens croak. It is a very distinctive difference.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They seem to like dry dog food

Crows around me take the said dry dog food and bring it to my bird bath to moisten it and then eat it. I have to constantly change the water as it is red in color with soggy bits of dog food in it.

My Conure does this with dehydrated fruits in her bird food. She rehydrates them with water and eats them. We put the leftover bird food our pet birds don’t eat out for the wild birds to eat.

ETA: Hell, now I don’t know if they are Crows, Ravens, or Grackles. I will have to find out.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'll trade some turkey buzzards for some crows. I haven't had a crow around my place in two or three years, but I do have turkey buzzards. I have about a dozen of them roosting on my barn right now.

I wonder if they aren't becoming the dominant carrion eater and pushing the crows out....or maybe they know something I don't and they're just waiting on me.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post