SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice, Remote Power Distribution Unit for Network
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice, Remote Power Distribution Unit for Network Login/Join 
posted
Need some network equipment advice.

I want to buy a Remote Power Distribution Unit that can auto ping the internet and do a power reset of my Modem when it freezes up and looses internet connectivity. I will also plug in my router and switch so I can do a remote power cycle of those units if needed. I would prefer a rack mountable unit in a pro-sumer level of equipment.

Is the Synaccess line of products any good? USA made and supported. Specifically the NP-05B unit.

I know that I could plug the modem into a manual outlet timer and have the modem reset automatically periodically, but I really want the unit to have the auto ping feature that will automatically initiate a power cycle reset if it determines the modem has disconnected from the internet.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is a frequent occurrence, most modems & routers have scheduled reboot options, but that's a band-aid as well. I'd be replacing the modem if that happens more than once or twice a year.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
If this is a frequent occurrence, most modems & routers have scheduled reboot options, but that's a band-aid as well. I'd be replacing the modem if that happens more than once or twice a year.

Spectrum modem, looses connection about once a day. That is why I need the auto ping reset capability and not just scheduled reset. Modem only 1 yr old. Maybe I will try talking to Spectrum and see if they will let me try a new modem. I would rather get a root canal or prostate exam than deal with the cable company.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have either a modem issue or perhaps a cabling issue, something down line between you and the main line that is the problem.

Either way I'd log it and raise Cain with Spectrum over the issue.

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
Maybe this

https://dlidirect.com/products/new-pro-switch

I actually just ordered the rack mount version of that unit. Thanks for the input.