SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Need Advice on Floor Coverings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need Advice on Floor Coverings Login/Join 
posted
I need to replace or cover my dining room, kitchen and bathrooms. I'd like to have something water-resistant, and have some flex when walked on. It will replace or cover 12 year old vinyl, the kind that came on rolls. The choices are much larger than they used to be. My floor is cement on a slab. I'd also like something that doesn't require a lot of chemical adhesive.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Luxury Vinyl Planks.

Posts: 22930 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, we have used on three projects. One was on a cement slab. Affordable, easy to install or have installed. Is wearing fine and looks great. Free floating and snaps together. Sort of like a tongue and groove affair. I would highly recommend. No more carpet for me, ever.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19222 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put the vinyl planking in our lake house VRBO. It has held up well and it deals with lots of different people and pets. Fairly easy to install too!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd also like something that doesn't require a lot of chemical adhesive.

Free float over an underlayment, no glue.
Pretty much the same stuff that goes under laminate ~ provides a vapor barrier and a cushion of sorts between uneven base and the planking.

Posts: 22930 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Just what I needed.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adding on to the vinyl planks. Super easy to do. Use your existing vinyl flooring as your underpayment and float it over top

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you pick something you like, get a sample to take home to test the scratch and water resistance.

At home, scratch the sample deeply with a screwdriver or such to see if the scratch shows up as bright white or the top color. Next, fill a small tub with water, add the sample and then add something heavy to hold it under water overnight. The next day, see how it looks.

When I did this, most vinyl planks failed at least one of those tests.

Posts: 2369 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
When you pick something you like, get a sample to take home to test the scratch and water resistance.

At home, scratch the sample deeply with a screwdriver or such to see if the scratch shows up as bright white or the top color. Next, fill a small tub with water, add the sample and then add something heavy to hold it under water overnight. The next day, see how it looks.

When I did this, most vinyl planks failed at least one of those tests.

Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19222 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Will vinyl planks install ok over plywood subfloor?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:

Yes, however most flooring contractors will install luan as an underlayment and flash patch the seams to create a more level surface.

Personally I recommend using a glue down type product and sticking with a pressure sensitive glue. By using this method changing damaged planks is extremely simple and is done with a utility knife to help lift the plank for removal.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:

I regret not putting down the foam/pad underpayment in my dining room. I put the planks right over the plywood. The room has a hollow sound to it as compare to the kitchen where I went over top of the existing sheet vinyl.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My parents are currently having the rigid Vinyl planks installed throughout their house. The planks have a foam "underlayment" attached. The foam is about an eighth of an inch thick and it seems to make the floor "give" slightly.

They are very pleased and I am somewhat jealous.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vinyl is very durable. BUT, get a very good quality underlayment. It makes a huge difference over time with feel, sound, and no movement/shifting as you walk over it. I like the Eco ultra or premium underlayment that Floor and Decor sells.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post