SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saudi Arabia Executes 81 in a Single Day
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saudi Arabia Executes 81 in a Single Day Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael J. Shannon:
... The Saudi's encourage Americans attend Punishment Day so we could better understand how criminals should be punished. Wow!

As a nine-year old living in Africa in the late 60s, one of my father's Liberian colleagues took me, along with his two sons (one eight, one nine) to see Sharia justice served on a thief.

The thief was brought to the square, his crime and sentence read out, then he was pinned down and a machete used to amputate his left hand. No anesthesia, but they did apply a crude tourniquet beforehand.

Hell of an object lesson.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and after that display, you weren't likely to steal anything

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
and after that display, you weren't likely to steal anything

Or you learn not to steal in shithole Liberia … or better yet, not get caught in said shithole!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The leftists say that the death penalty is not a deterrent.

I have asked Leftists how they can possibly know this is true. They say it with such authority. There's never been a satisfacory response - usually there's no response.

It’s because the left out factor is the time frame involved.

Because of our system and the right to appeal, the fear of the death penalty is more abstract. Denial works it’s way into the equation, as in: “It won’t ever happen to me”

There is very little crime in Japan because of the known inevitability of punishment…because almost all criminals are caught and convicted. If we caught most criminals in this country, far fewer would commit crimes

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The leftists say that the death penalty is not a deterrent.

I have asked Leftists how they can possibly know this is true. They say it with such authority. There's never been a satisfacory response - usually there's no response.

It’s because the left out factor is the time frame involved.

Because of our system and the right to appeal, the fear of the death penalty is more abstract. Denial works it’s way into the equation, as in: “It won’t ever happen to me”

There is very little crime in Japan because of the known inevitability of punishment…because almost all criminals are caught and convicted. If we caught most criminals in this country, far fewer would commit crimes

Well to be completely honest, Japanese prosecutors only prosecute cases that they absolutely can win. That leads to the 99% conviction rate.

That’s very different than saying they convict all criminals.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post