SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold Water?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold Water? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Seems like a dumb question but I've heard it and actually believed it could be true at least in some circumstances. Something about how hot water looses temperature faster and can end up getting below freezing faster.
Recently it came up in discussion with someone (a chemical engineer) and I was told how that simply couldn't be the case. I'm thinking I believed in an old wives tale.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, that is impossible. First the hot water has to cool down to the cold water temp.

-c1steve

Posts: 4118 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wives tale.

Now what is not - perfectly still water (that where the surface tension is not broken) can be heated above 212 F and once tension is broken (disturbed) will immediately boil over.

Forgot what it's called but seen the experiment.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14142 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like an easy experiment, if you had a 2 probe cooking thermometer you wouldn't even need to open the freezer to check.

I can't imagine it would be true though...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
No, that is impossible. First the hot water has to cool down to the cold water temp.

Thanks Steve, that's what she told me too. I guess I lost the bet! Big Grin

Posts: 7260 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Wives tale.

Now what is not - perfectly still water (that where the surface tension is not broken) can be heated above 212 F and once tension is broken (disturbed) will immediately boil over.

Yes..... and one can boil water in a paper cup that is placed directly in a fire too.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Not so fast all you doubters. Ridewv, don't hand away your money yet.

I'm not going to post all the research, but Google the Mpemba effect, and prepare to be amazed...as well as confused.

It is an observed effect, but far from proven, or even explained science. Have fun with it.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll tell you this. In our emergency generator room on the ship, there are hot and cold water lines running through the space and along the bulkhead which is adjacent to the outside deck. They run directly parallel to each other top and bottom.

Two winters ago--a brutally cold winter here on the Delaware--that space got extremely cold. The hot water line froze and burst the pipe. The cold water line never did freeze.

So make of that what you will.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30881 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
yes, hot water freezes faster than cold water. in order for water to freeze the molecules have to give off their heat energy and arrange themselves in the certain way to freeze. molecules of hot water are moving faster, giving up their energy and helping them arrange themselves faster than cold water. The "theory" is called the Mpemba Effect .

Posts: 7547 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Wives tale.

Yes..... and one can boil water in a paper cup that is placed directly in a fire too.

Yup - I recall while in Cub Scouts my dad doing that for us. He built a fire in the middle of the front yard (small, but impressive due to house being in middle of city) and we all boiled water in our own cups.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14142 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks Otto, I'm not conceding yet! Big Grin

Baize' another factor could the differential in movement between the two lines. For instance if the cold line flowed more frequently say commodes flushing etc., whereas the hot line stayed stagnant longer. Right?

Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
A quick brush through my college physics books brought me to the chapter on phase change, which explains that cold water will not freeze before hot water.

What it did say was that boiling water will freeze faster than hot water due to the energy given up through evaporation.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
can be heated above 212 F and once tension is broken (disturbed) will immediately boil over.

this is why you don't do the quick depressurize on your pressure cooker if you don't want it to boil.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Not so fast all you doubters. Ridewv, don't hand away your money yet.

I'm not going to post all the research, but Google the Mpemba effect, and prepare to be amazed...as well as confused.

It is an observed effect, but far from proven, or even explained science. Have fun with it.

Yep, and a large component of contrail formation.

The rapidly expanding gases along with the water component in jet exhaust, result in the "dumping" of energy and the loss of molecular motion resulting in H2O freezing and the contrails form out of that process.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Thanks Otto, I'm not conceding yet! Big Grin

Baize' another factor could the differential in movement between the two lines. For instance if the cold line flowed more frequently say commodes flushing etc., whereas the hot line stayed stagnant longer. Right?

Not in this case. These two lines dead end after leaving this space. They go down to the deck below which is the machine shop sink. The hot and cold water gets used about equally at the sink. In fact, the hot water probably gets used a bit more.

Though before that space the lines do service two heads and a shower. So who knows.

I suppose one could test the theory by taking a pot of boiling water and a pot of room temperature water or water taken from the fridge and place them side by side outside this winter and watch which one freezes first.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30881 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wives tale.

Thinking of "superheated"? When it finally goes it is commonly referred to as "bumping" in the sciences. While surface tension could have some effect, a more important factor is nucleation. Having a perfectly smooth clean flask is problematic- nowhere for microbubbles to start the boil. It eventually ends up over 100°C and spontaneous boiling results in violent release of hot liquid. Having a small scratch in the glass, or addition of an inert chip, can prevent.

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
What I have read of this previously, perhaps even here about ten years ago, is that most of water is insulated except the surface.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
It is almost always the hot water pipes in a house that freeze, not the cold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I actually ran this experiment once. Was not able to demonstrate the Mpemba effect; the cold water froze first. Note that this not disprove the Mpemba effect, it only means I was not able to reproduce it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16883 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I suppose one could test the theory by taking a pot of boiling water and a pot of room temperature water or water taken from the fridge and place them side by side outside this winter and watch which one freezes first.

I think surface area might play a factor in this experiment. Dump em both on your driveway.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post