SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold Water?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold Water? Login/Join 
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Depends on how hot.
If the water is hot enough, a significant portion may evaporate in your freezer, leaving a smaller mass left over to freeze. This smaller amount of water will then need to give off significantly less overall heat than the cool tray of cubes, and potentially freeze “faster”.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I actually ran this experiment once. Was not able to demonstrate the Mpemba effect; the cold water froze first. Note that this not disprove the Mpemba effect, it only means I was not able to reproduce it.

From what I read, that is one of the biggest problems with it. People have observed it, but it is not consistently reproducible.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Yep, and a large component of contrail formation.

The rapidly expanding gases along with the water component in jet exhaust, result in the "dumping" of energy and the loss of molecular motion resulting in H2O freezing and the contrails form out of that process.

Nothing whatsoever to do with contrail formation.

Turbojet engine exhaust is hot; combustion of kerosine in a jet engine produces water vapor, and water vapor freezes. The fact that the exhaust is hot does not cause nor increase the formation of a contrail. The formation of a contrail is entirely due to water vapor presence, condensation nuclei in the jet exhaust, and environmental atmospheric conditions at the point of formation.

It's not the heating of the exhaust that causes the contrail, which will form only when conditions are correct; one can see it form and fail to form as the aircraft passes through air which is conducive, and not conducive, to contrail formation. Moreover, one also sees distrails, which which cloud surrounding the exhaust effluence is dissipated, rather than a contrail forming. It can go either way, depending on conditions. What is not a part of the process is hot exhaust causing water to freeze; the only contribution of that hot exhaust in a contrail is an after effect of combustion and the production of adequate water vapor. The water doesn't freeze because it got hot.

As for supercooled water droplets not freezing, and that being a component of like samples in a freezer, not. A glass or beaker of water in a freezer doesn't become supercooled and fail to freeze when a hot cup of water does freeze. Warm or hot water does not freeze first, and certainly not because of "supercooling" of a water sample in a fridge. Supercooling of water, which is the cooling of water to a temperature below freezing while still in the liquid state, occurs in nature down to -40 deg C/F, but only in small droplets, and only due to surface tension on the droplet.

It's supercooled water droplets that can lead to a rapid buildup of ice in flight as the aircraft breaks surface tension and the water freezes instantly, and also what we see in freezing rain. This does not occur in a test sample in a freezer, and won't occur when a warm and cold water sample is subjected to identical conditions in the freezer.

Water has a given specific heat capacity of 4.184, and a change in water temperature is a function of heat added or removed. Unless the specific heat capacity of water is altered by changing the chemical composition of the water, then the cold water will freeze first. Simple chemistry and physics. Heating the water doesn't change the specific heat capacity, and mathematically the warm water sample in the freezer has a greater temperature differential to accomplish, and a longer time will be required to do it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There's a reason why science is more than just anecdotes.

We are getting fairly close to that worst-of-seasons which will provide the doubters a chance to do their own experiments, rather than relying on possibly-fake science persuasively laid out on websites.

Once it gets below freezing, get two large containers, and put an equal amount of water into both.

Put one in the refrigerator, and leave the other at room temperature. After a day, put them both out into the cold where you can see them from inside, and watch. (or put your camera on time-lapse.)

I could tell you what you'll observe, but I'm just this guy, you know. Wink

The key things are:

1) identical containers
2) identical amount of water
3) identical motion (kinetic energy in the water) - in this case, zero
4) identical composition of the water (no difference in ions, etc.)

Posts: 15141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

In certain circumstances.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of the better explanations I have seen- The end describes the molecule "memory" that would have to exist if mpemba is true. If there is accelerated cooling based on previous temperature, then how does the water know what temperature it had when to use.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkH2iX0rx8U

Posts: 1074 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that hot water freezes faster than cold. Nor do I believe that the earth is flat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9433 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
People believe what they want to believe.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to watch water boil at room temperature. Physical chemistry is fascinating!

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Yep, and a large component of contrail formation.

The rapidly expanding gases along with the water component in jet exhaust, result in the "dumping" of energy and the loss of molecular motion resulting in H2O freezing and the contrails form out of that process.

Nothing whatsoever to do with contrail formation.

Turbojet engine exhaust is hot; combustion of kerosine in a jet engine produces water vapor, and water vapor freezes. The fact that the exhaust is hot does not cause nor increase the formation of a contrail. The formation of a contrail is entirely due to water vapor presence, condensation nuclei in the jet exhaust, and environmental atmospheric conditions at the point of formation.

It's not the heating of the exhaust that causes the contrail, which will form only when conditions are correct; one can see it form and fail to form as the aircraft passes through air which is conducive, and not conducive, to contrail formation. Moreover, one also sees distrails, which which cloud surrounding the exhaust effluence is dissipated, rather than a contrail forming. It can go either way, depending on conditions. What is not a part of the process is hot exhaust causing water to freeze; the only contribution of that hot exhaust in a contrail is an after effect of combustion and the production of adequate water vapor. The water doesn't freeze because it got hot.

As for supercooled water droplets not freezing, and that being a component of like samples in a freezer, not. A glass or beaker of water in a freezer doesn't become supercooled and fail to freeze when a hot cup of water does freeze. Warm or hot water does not freeze first, and certainly not because of "supercooling" of a water sample in a fridge. Supercooling of water, which is the cooling of water to a temperature below freezing while still in the liquid state, occurs in nature down to -40 deg C/F, but only in small droplets, and only due to surface tension on the droplet.

It's supercooled water droplets that can lead to a rapid buildup of ice in flight as the aircraft breaks surface tension and the water freezes instantly, and also what we see in freezing rain. This does not occur in a test sample in a freezer, and won't occur when a warm and cold water sample is subjected to identical conditions in the freezer.

Water has a given specific heat capacity of 4.184, and a change in water temperature is a function of heat added or removed. Unless the specific heat capacity of water is altered by changing the chemical composition of the water, then the cold water will freeze first. Simple chemistry and physics. Heating the water doesn't change the specific heat capacity, and mathematically the warm water sample in the freezer has a greater temperature differential to accomplish, and a longer time will be required to do it.

I was referring to adiabatic cooling, and as there certainly are components to the atmosphere that are both conducive and unfavorable, the rapid expansion of compressed hot gases are what bring about contrails. Water vapor not compressed would boil off at that altitude, but unlikely create anything the size of contrails because of the rapid expansion and energy of the other gases and air exiting the nozzle when heated.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No. A PhD chemist and college professor once confessed he had heard the "hot freezes faster" thing, and about half believed it. Then he thought about the laws of physics and realized it is pure nonsense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
....but Google the Mpemba effect, and prepare to be amazed...as well as confused.

The Mpemba effect is well known, but almost always counteracted by the Crompoopoo Effect in practical situations.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've also heard that cold tap water run into a pot will boil faster than a pot filled with hot tap water. My observations have been the opposite, but I'm not a physicist.

Posts: 17614 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One observation, when the Zamboni resurfaces the ice between periods of a hockey game it lays down hot water, just sayin'

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was referring to adiabatic cooling, and as there certainly are components to the atmosphere that are both conducive and unfavorable, the rapid expansion of compressed hot gases are what bring about contrails. Water vapor not compressed would boil off at that altitude, but unlikely create anything the size of contrails because of the rapid expansion and energy of the other gases and air exiting the nozzle when heated.

Rapid expansion is not causing freezing of exhaust gasses. -54 degree temperatures at altitude are causing the freezing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
One observation, when the Zamboni resurfaces the ice between periods of a hockey game it lays down hot water, just sayin'

Cold water on snow makes slush, frozen slush sucks to skate on, hot water melts snow, fills deeper ruts in the ice, so it can freeze nice and smooth. Smooth ice good, bumpy ice bad.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Rapid expansion is not causing freezing of exhaust gasses. -54 degree temperatures at altitude are causing the freezing.

I did not say the rapid expansion caused the freezing. I said the rapid expansion of heated gases and the contained water resulted in the contrails, vs none expanding water.

Both will freeze, but the expanding contributes to this. If you streamed quantity of water in a non-compressed liquid phase from an orifice and the same amount in gaseous phase that exits from the engine the contrail is going to be the faster freezing, from the expansion and liberation of heat to the colder air, than the stream. The stream will also "boil off" but without the heat, it will do so much more slowly.

The comparison of that effect to the tossing of boiling water, which "expands/spreads out and the energy from the heated water is rapidly cooled by the vapor/steam being exposed to more "surface" to cold air.

A tub of boiling water will need to transfer all of it's heat to the air in order to be lowered to freezing point.
Boiling water dispersed will be rapidly turned into steam, as it is at boiling point when it expands by the act of throwing it and it is no longer in a total liquid phase, but a partial (small droplet) vapor phase.

The "spreading" is expansion and there is a small transfer of energy, and the surface area of the water and the cold air are increased dramatically, and the water freezes, leaving a cloud of ice crystals.

The gases of jet exhaust do this as well, (and to a greater degree than tossing boiling water), and pressure change upon exit of the nozzle has the effect of cooling the water in the gases rapidly.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:

The reason for this is that the hot water melts a bit of the ice and makes the new ice bonded with the old, rather than having a sheet that will chip off.

As far as pipes freezing, I'm wondering if maybe just the hot water pipes burst while the cold don't. It may have something to do with how the crystals form and the expansion of the water when it crystallizes rather than the speed at which they freeze. But I'm not a physicist.

I do have a solution though to ease everyone's mind. If you keep 2 ice cube trays, then as one is empty you fill it (with hot or cold), then start using the other ice cube tray, none of this will matter. (Add more trays if you drink a lot)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did not say the rapid expansion caused the freezing. I said the rapid expansion of heated gases and the contained water resulted in the contrails, vs none expanding water.

Both will freeze, but the expanding contributes to this. If you streamed quantity of water in a non-compressed liquid phase from an orifice and the same amount in gaseous phase that exits from the engine the contrail is going to be the faster freezing, from the expansion and liberation of heat to the colder air, than the stream. The stream will also "boil off" but without the heat, it will do so much more slowly.

The comparison of that effect to the tossing of boiling water, which "expands/spreads out and the energy from the heated water is rapidly cooled by the vapor/steam being exposed to more "surface" to cold air.

A tub of boiling water will need to transfer all of it's heat to the air in order to be lowered to freezing point.
Boiling water dispersed will be rapidly turned into steam, as it is at boiling point when it expands by the act of throwing it and it is no longer in a total liquid phase, but a partial (small droplet) vapor phase.

The "spreading" is expansion and there is a small transfer of energy, and the surface area of the water and the cold air are increased dramatically, and the water freezes, leaving a cloud of ice crystals.

The gases of jet exhaust do this as well, (and to a greater degree than tossing boiling water), and pressure change upon exit of the nozzle has the effect of cooling the water in the gases rapidly.

Bah yer both full of it. There ain't no such thing as contrails. Everyone knows thems chemtrails what come out of the back of jets. It's the government spreading stuff to make us all obey without question.

Roll Eyes
Big Grin
Razz
Cool

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Wives tale.

Now what is not - perfectly still water (that where the surface tension is not broken) can be heated above 212 F and once tension is broken (disturbed) will immediately boil over.

Forgot what it's called but seen the experiment.

Super heated water, can get over 212*, but you must use pure water, won't happen with tap water.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post