SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hamilton Watches, thoughts and opinions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hamilton Watches, thoughts and opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Looking at getting a Hamilton watch. I'm not an expensive watch guy. I own a couple Citizens, that's it. I've been looking at the Hamilton Kahki Field watches and just love the look. Anyone here have experience or own a Hamilton watch?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have a Hamilton jazzmaster, and love it. It is the most comfortable watch I have in the collection. Great size, weight and bezel size. I have more expensive watches, but for some reason wear the Hamilton very often..

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I don't own a Hamilton, yet, but I am enjoying watching the resurgence of this American brand.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I don't own a Hamilton, yet, but I am enjoying watching the resurgence of this American brand.

In name only. It’s a Swiss made Swatch group brand. I have Hamilton Officer Khaki mechanical that’s great

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I have a Hamilton Khaki King automatic. I love it. If I were covered up in extra money, I'd buy another but in the quartz version, just because.

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hamilton was my first auto, a khaki field auto. If I had to do it again, I would get the hand wound one with no date window.

Hamiltons are great watches. They are owned by Swatch which also owns Tissot, Omega and Longines. They are also the owner of the movement maker ETA which gives them a little more clout because the same company that makes the watches, makes the movements (which is a thing in the watch world for a lot of people).

For the price, they are pretty dang hard to beat. Them and Seiko are probably the two best values for under $500 watches.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

In name only. It’s a Swiss made Swatch group brand. I have Hamilton Officer Khaki mechanical that’s great

I understand and agree with you. It's why I chose to say "brand" instead of American made. Hamilton is a watch brand that my dad wore when I was a young boy and brings back a lot of good memories for me.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Been trying to pick up a Jazzmaster. Life in progress issues keep getting in the way.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 1980s, LL Bean used to sell the Hamilton Khaki as their “Field Watch”. They were reasonably priced (under $100), the lume was good, and they were very good for the money. I owned a couple which I broke through carelessness and probably what amounted to abuse. (I wear my watches 24/7 in sometimes rigorous conditions)

If I had known Bean was gonna discontinue the Hamiltons and replace them with piece of crap watches from China I would have bought a couple as spares and been more careful with them.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got a Hamilton King Scuba. It's a good looking reasonably accurate automatic watch with a solid ETA 2824 movement. At 38mm it's just a bit smaller than I like, but that's purely personal preference. I've had it about 5 years and it hasn't given me any problems.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i have a Khaki Field H69419933. wind it every morning. love it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
they're fine, I like the styling, just remember that's what your paying for, as Scurvy said, they're swatch. ETA movements are the toyota of the watch movement world, reliable and easy to get serviced. They can go up market pretty well too (like Lexus).

the same can be said of all these brands
https://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands-companies#1

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have owned a few Hamiltons. My current daily wearer is the khaki field mechanical which I enjoy. I think Hamiltons offer excellent value and I like the looks of most models.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Looking on Amazon at Hamilton watches, each ad says made in USA or imported...no shit sherlock!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I love my Hamilton. It has been on and off a daily wear for me for the last 5 years. I would get a Jazzmaster next.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the Khaki windup model and like it very much. I had the Bean's Khaki mentioned above and liked it, too, but it was quartz. I like mechanical watches.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Hamiltons, very happy with both. I think they provide a pretty good value as well.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
All great input and feedback gents.

Damn I love this forum.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Have a jazzmaster thin line quartz. Very reasonable and I've gotten countless compliments on it. It's my go to dress watch.

Current every day is a Hamilton Pan Europe. It's my first auto and it holds a special place as it was my graduation watch.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve read that the Khaki field watches have virtually no water resistance at all. No swimming or washing dishes, don’t even let it get wet washing your hands. The new movement in them has an 80 hour power reserve though.

I like the new 42mm day date reference # H70535031 and the H70505133

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post