SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microwaving Corn on the Cob...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwaving Corn on the Cob... Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to trying this...

Pretty darn good, and for sure cannot beat the convenience factor.

Thanks, Jim!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jim.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Where is Jim? I never knew him personally, but always enjoyed his posts and those about Merlot as well.
I know the pup passed away, and I’m wondering how he’s doing? Maybe it’s just because I hang in the lounge, and he’s posting in other parts of the forum...

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
You can grill the corn, even until it’s charred and remove the husk this way. I used to always grill corn in the husk.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Where is Jim? I never knew him personally, but always enjoyed his posts and those about Merlot as well.
I know the pup passed away, and I’m wondering how he’s doing? Maybe it’s just because I hang in the lounge, and he’s posting in other parts of the forum...
Thanks for the concern. I'm still around -- depleting y'all's oxygen supply. Just been busy with other stuff.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes use the grill to cook corn in the husk.

Just soak the corn in water for about 1/2 first before grilling on indirect heat, and turn regularly then remove the corn from the husk just like in the video.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried it and am hooked.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bump for this year (2022)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Giant always has corn on sale during the major holidays...10 ears for $2.00.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'll try this. Is this just a time saver? Or something about taste?

I usually either husk and steam (takes 15 min).

Or leave a single layer of husk and bake at 355F in the toaster oven (25 min).

Depends on how starchy the corn is. Starchy corn gets the steam, crisp corn gets the oven. (talking white corn, of course).

ETA: not saying this is better than microwaving, just what I've been doing to date.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Best thing about the Shugart system is this takes the hassle out of removing the silks. They just slide right off with the shuck.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Best thing about the Shugart system is this takes the hassle out of removing the silks. They just slide right off with the shuck.
I have tried this with both microwave cooking, and with roasting on the grill. The shucking system works with both of those; I bet it will work with any method of cooking.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I started doing this when it was first posted,nad it's been working great.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I steam them for 7 minutes with the husk removed. Too much heat and overcooking destroys the nutrition values.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the grocery store today mainly to buy corn in the shucks for the 4th of July........they had NONE!!! Bummer!! I use only the microwave method for cooking it.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I see this every year you post it but have failed to actually try it.

I’ll try to change that.

I’ve still got this on my list Big Grin.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I once tried raw corn on the cob at a roadside stand passing through Wisconsin...it was fantastic!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've tried the MW version and it to me is very similar to boiled. Good, but I still like it better on the grill w/o the husk so we get a bit of char and maybe even a few popcorn pops as it cooks. I'll eat the boiled or NW versions and won't complain, which we do when we need to move along with dinner.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I've recently started cooking corn on the cob in the air fryer. A little olive oil and salt and cook at 380 for 12 to 15 minutes and it turns out great.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post